Computer Networks (G5115)
15 credits, Level 5
This module provides an introduction to the basics of packet switching technologies as used in the internet. Emphasis is placed on core Internet protocols such as IP and TCP.
Subjects covered include:
- network access technologies
- design of network protocols using layering
- local area networks
- TCP/IP routing and switching
- and congestion control.
This module introduces the internet with a top-down view: the accent is on layer abstractions and the associated protocols (and how to program with them). Particular attention is paid to questions of network security.
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 33 hours of contact time and about 117 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2021/22. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. However, there may be changes to this module in response to COVID-19, or due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of material changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
It may not be possible to take some module combinations due to timetabling constraints. The structure of some courses means that the modules you choose first may determine whether later modules are core or optional.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Computer Science (with an industrial placement year) BSc
- Computer Science (with an industrial placement year) MComp
- Computer Science BSc
- Computer Science MComp
- Computing for Business and Management (with an industrial placement year) BSc
- Computing for Business and Management BSc
- Finance and Technology (FinTech) (with a professional placement year) BSc
- Finance and Technology (FinTech) BSc