Mobile Communications (826H1)
15 credits, Level 7 (Masters)
The aim of the module is to introduce the fundamental principles of mobile communications and provide you with up-to-date knowledge and skills that are important in the design of mobile communication systems.
The following topics will be covered:
- overview of mobile communication systems
- cellular mobile communications concept
- mobile radio channel and mitigation
- digital modulation
- spread spectrum
- diversity, Multiple-input Multiple-output (MIMO)
- multiple access techniques
- wireless Local Area Network (WLAN)
- medium access control
- research project and simulation work using MATLAB software tools.
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 40 hours of contact time and about 110 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2021/22. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. However, there may be changes to this module in response to COVID-19, or due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of material changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
It may not be possible to take some module combinations due to timetabling constraints. The structure of some courses means that the modules you choose first may determine whether later modules are core or optional.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Computer Science (with an industrial placement year) MComp
- Computer Science MComp
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering MEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics MEng