Mechanical Dynamics (518H3)
15 credits, Level 7 (Masters)
- state space modelling of dynamic systems
- self-excited vibration and instability
- various non-linear phenomena
- applications of the Finite-Element Method in dynamics
- the Rayleigh-Ritz method
- linear model reduction techniques
- MDOF models of linear damping
- the effect of damping on natural frequencies and mode shapes
- forced vibration of general linear MDOF systems: time and frequency domain analysis, solution via DFT
- review of probability theory and the normal distribution
- introduction to stochastic processes, correlation functions, and power spectral densities
- random vibration analysis of linear dynamic systems
- international standards on machine vibration levels.
20%: Coursework (Report)
80%: Examination (Unseen examination)
Contact hours and workload
We’re currently reviewing contact hours for modules and will update with further information as soon as it is available.
This module is running in the academic year 2020/21. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses: