Statistics and Introductory Econometrics (L1022)
15 credits, Level 5
This module provides an introduction to the statistical techniques used in economics, and includes computer-based applications.
Topics covered include:
- summarising and plotting data
- basic probability theory
- hypothesis testing
- correlation analysis; and
- bivariate and multiple regression analysis.
You are introduced in greater detail to the EXCEL spreadsheet package, which you will use for your assessed modulework.
33%: Seminar (Class, Seminar)
30%: Coursework (Report)
70%: Examination (Unseen examination)
Contact hours and workload
This module is 150 hours of work. This breaks down into 22 hours of contact time and 128 hours of independent study.
This module is running in the academic year 2019/20. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Accounting and Finance (with a professional placement year) BSc
- Accounting and Finance BSc
- Business and Management Studies (with a professional placement year) BSc
- Business and Management Studies BSc
- Economics and International Development BA
- Economics and International Relations BA
- Economics and Management Studies BSc
- Economics and Politics BA
- Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE) BA