Finite Element Analysis (517H3)
15 credits, Level 7 (Masters)
- introduction to finite-element modelling methods and software
- preparation of the graphical interface
- setting up a model
- mesh generation
- stress analysis
- nodal analysis and dynamic modelling
- interfacing with other packages and the use of exchangeable formats
- checking a solution
- debugging and validation of the modelling process.
100%: Practical (Laboratory)
100%: Coursework (Report)
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 30 hours of contact time and about 120 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
We regularly review our modules to incorporate student feedback, staff expertise, as well as the latest research and teaching methodology. We’re planning to run these modules in the academic year 2023/24. However, there may be changes to these modules in response to COVID-19, staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of material changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.