Entry requirements for international Masters applicants

At Sussex, you'll join a community of postgraduate students from more than 100 countries. We accept applications for postgraduate study from across the world.

International students socialise on campus at the University of Sussex

General entry requirements for international students

At Sussex, our usual entry requirements for students with international qualifications are the equivalent of: at least an upper second-class (2:1) or lower second-class (2:2) undergraduate honours degree depending on the course you are applying for.

We may also consider professional qualifications or experience of equivalent standing when we make an offer.

To find out which qualifications and grades we accept from your country:

  • search for the Masters course you want to study
  • go to the Entry requirements section and select International requirements
  • choose your country from the drop-down list.

Specific entry requirements for international students

You must also meet our specific entry requirements for each course. These are listed with each Masters course.


  • the grade required for your course
  • if you need to have an undergraduate qualification in a specific subject.

If you are an American student, federal regulations state that you must also have a secondary school completion credential (high school diploma) or the recognized equivalent of a secondary school completion credential to be eligible to apply for Federal Student Aid. Find out more about American Student Loans and Federal Student Aid.

English language requirements

All teaching at Sussex is in English and you must meet our English language requirements. You must be sufficiently fluent in English to be accepted on to your course, and this may form part of your offer.

You can also apply to study our Pre-sessional English course.

Applying for a visa

If you are an international student, you may need to apply for a student visa to study in the UK.

See visa information on the Student Hub.

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

You need to apply for ATAS clearance if you are not a national of an European Area (EEA) country or Switzerland, and you are applying for a science or engineering-based course.

Find out about ATAS clearance on the Student Hub.

You might also be interested in: