First-Generation Scholars summer internships
Our First-Generation Scholars scheme supports students who are the first in their families to go to university and/or are from low-income households. As part of this scheme, you can access funding to recruit a summer intern.
Why get involved
By taking on an intern or shadowing student through our First-Generation Scholars scheme, you raise awareness of your organisation and meet talented students who could be potential future employees.
You also help to support our work to ‘level the playing field’ for those from less advantaged backgrounds. This means that your participation can be seen as part of your positive involvement in enhancing social mobility.
You can access full funding to recruit a Sussex student full time for eight weeks during the summer of 2019 through the Sussex First-Generation Scholars internship programme.
The scheme provides £2,900 (or £3,400 for London-based organisations) per internship in funding to be paid to the successful student via your organisation.
Summer internships criteria
- internships should start during June or July 2019
- interns are expected to work 37.5 hours per week for 8 weeks
- you are expected to pay your intern the Living Wage as a minimum
- internships should provide a genuine work-experience opportunity that is suitable for an undergraduate student at the end of their second year of study
- projects and tasks should be structured to offer the intern opportunities for personal and skills development
- learning outcomes should be identified, and responsibilities and roles should be clearly outlined.
We love the commitment and fresh perspective that interns bring to our organisation, and they always do hugely valuable work. We will continue to participate every year if we can.” Brighton & Hove Food Partnership
First-Generation Scholars Intern Employer 2019
How to apply
Applications are now closed.
Contact our Placements and Work Experience team with any questions on: