Advanced Natural Language Engineering (G5114)
15 credits, Level 6
Advanced Natural Language Engineering builds on the foundations provided by the Natural Language Engineering module. You will develop your knowledge and understanding of key topics including word sense disambiguation, vector space models of semantics, named entity recognition, topic modelling and machine translation.
Seminars will provide an opportunity to discuss research papers related to the key topics and also general issues that arise when developing natural language processing tools, including:
- hypothesis testing
- data smoothing techniques
- domain adaptation
- generative versus discriminative learning
- semi-supervised learning
Labs will provide the opportunity for you to improve your python programming skills, experiment with some off-the-shelf technology and develop research skills.
50%: Practical (Laboratory)
100%: Coursework (Report)
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 44 hours of contact time and about 106 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2020/21. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Computer Science (with an industrial placement year) BSc
- Computer Science (with an industrial placement year) MComp
- Computer Science BSc
- Computer Science MComp
- Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence (with an industrial placement year) BSc
- Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence BSc
- Computing for Business and Management (with an industrial placement year) BSc
- Computing for Business and Management BSc
- Finance and Technology (with a professional placement year) BSc
- Finance and Technology BSc