Study abroad fees

Find out about grants and funding, tuition fees and insurance costs for studying abroad.

Students jumping on a bridge in New York during their study abroad year organised by the University of Sussex

Tuition fees, funding and costs (2018 entry)

Information on fees and costs for studying abroad is not yet available for the academic year 2018/19. Please note that 2018 fees and costs may be different from 2017 figures.

Tuition fees, funding and costs (2017 entry)

Details of fees and costs for studying abroad in the academic year 2017/18 are listed below. 

If you are a UK student for fee-classification purposes, starting at the University of Sussex in the academic year 2017/18 and you intend to study abroad for a year as part of your course, you pay 15% of the course fee for the year to the University of Sussex.

If you’re on the British Council language assistant scheme, you’re classified as 'on work placement' and pay 20% of the course fee for the year to the University of Sussex.

If you study abroad for less than a full academic year, you pay your normal tuition fees to the University of Sussex.

These tuition fees are subject to changes in Government guidance or legislation.

You do not need to pay any tuition fees to your host university for your year or term abroad. You will need to budget for your flights, insurance, visa (if necessary), rent and other costs.

Grants and funding (2017 entry)

You will still receive your UK student loan for your year or term abroad. You can also apply for a means-tested travel grant from Student Finance England.

Current Sussex students studying abroad at one of our partner institutions in Europe through the Erasmus scheme have been able to apply for an Erasmus grant (not means-tested) to help towards living costs.

First-Generation Scholars will receive a £3,000 cash payment in their year abroad to help with the additional costs of studying abroad.

Care Leavers will receive a £3,000 cash payment in addition to their normal award during their year abroad.

If you do the British Council language assistant scheme, you’ll be paid a basic salary.

Additional costs (2017 entry)

If you study abroad for part of your degree, you will have to pay some additional costs (for example travel costs and insurance cover).

To study abroad in the US, you need financial guarantees to get the necessary visa. After taking into account any loans to which you may be entitled, we estimate that at least an additional £3,000 is required for the US.

Other costs include visa fees for the country you are studying in, which change yearly and can be high.

Insurance cover (2017 entry)

If you go abroad as part of your studies, you are required to have adequate insurance against emergency medical expenses and accidents.

We arrange insurance cover for you, for which you are required to pay an insurance premium before departure.

Currently, the cost of insurance for the approximate 10-month study abroad period can range from £130 to £200 for European destinations, and £185 to £320 for destinations outside Europe, such as Asia and South America.

The cost of insurance for the approximate 10-month study abroad period in the US is considerably higher and can range from £400 to £1,500, depending on the institution visited.

You might also be interested in: