Student Life Centre

Home Undergraduate Funding

Where you live in the UK and where you intend to study will determine where you apply to for government funding and how much you will receive.

What Funding is available?


Loans are a repayable type of Student Finance, which accrues interest and is provided to support you while studying - they include the Maintenance Loan (paid directly to the University) and Tuition Fee Loan

Tuition Fee Loan: You can apply for a tuition fee loan from the government to cover your tuition fees upfront. 

Maintenance Loan: Student Finance can also provide you with a loan to help with your living costs and course-related costs. You can apply for a maintenance loan at the same time as you apply for your tuition fee loan.

Living CircumstancesMaximum maintenance loan in 2020/21
Living with Parents £7,747
Living away from home £9,203


Grants are usually a non-repayable type of Student Finance to support students during their studies. They do not accrue interest and are non-repayable (provided an overpayment does not exist). Types of grants include Childcare Grants, Adult Dependants' Grants and Disability Support Allowance

Some authorities also offer means-tested grants (Wales and Scotland)

You can get an estimate of Student Finance Entitlement from the Student Finance Calculator Online. Please note this does not reflect exactly what you should expect upon final assessment of your application.

Who do I apply to for Funding?

The authority you apply to will be determined by where your main residence in the UK has been for last three years. Initial applications can be made online to your relevant authority.The funding available to you will differ depending on your relevant authority and entitlement can also be affected by a number of factors, including whether or not your application is means-tested, what year you are in and whether your course includes any placement or year abroad, among other things