Entry requirements for international applicants

At Sussex, you'll join a community of students and staff from more than 100 countries. We accept applications for postgraduate study from across the world.

International students sit at a table talking at a cafe at the University of Sussex

General entry requirements for international students

At Sussex, our usual entry requirements for UK and international students are: 

  • at least an upper second-class (2:1) undergraduate honours degree or equivalent international qualification
  • a Masters degree if you are applying for research degrees in the arts or social sciences, or an equivalent international qualification.

We may also consider professional qualifications or experience of equivalent standing when making offers.

To find out which qualifications and grades we accept from your country:

  • search for the PhD you want to study
  • go to the Entry requirements section and select International requirements
  • choose your country from the drop-down list.

You can also get advice from Sussex representatives in your country.

Specific entry requirements for international students 

You must also meet our specific entry requirements for each research degree. These are listed with each PhD degree.


  • the grade required for your course
  • if you need to have an undergraduate qualification in a specific subject
  • if you need to have a Masters qualification. 

You can also get advice from Sussex representatives in your country.

English language qualifications 

All teaching at Sussex is in English. You must be sufficiently fluent in English to be accepted on to your PhD, and this may form part of your offer.

Find out more about our English language requirements

You can also apply to study our Pre-sessional English course.


For some research degrees we may ask you to attend an interview. 

If you are an international student, you may be interviewed over the phone or via Skype.

Applying for a visa

If you are an international student, you may need to apply for a student visa to study in the UK.

Find out more about applying for a visa

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

You need to apply for ATAS clearance if you are not a national of an European Area (EEA) country or Switzerland, and you are applying for a science or engineering-based PhD.

Find out more about the Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

You might also be interested in: