Entry requirements for international applicants
At Sussex, you'll join a community of students and staff from more than 100 countries. We accept applications for postgraduate study from across the world.
General entry requirements for international students
At Sussex, our usual entry requirements for UK and international students are:
- at least an upper second-class (2:1) undergraduate honours degree or equivalent international qualification
- a Masters degree if you are applying for research degrees in the arts or social sciences, or an equivalent international qualification.
We may also consider professional qualifications or experience of equivalent standing when making offers.
Specific entry requirements for international students
You must also meet our specific entry requirements for each research degree. These are listed with each PhD degree.
- the grade required for your course
- if you need to have an undergraduate qualification in a specific subject
- if you need to have a Masters qualification.
English language qualifications
All teaching at Sussex is in English. You must be sufficiently fluent in English to be accepted on to your PhD, and this may form part of your offer.
You can also apply to study our Pre-sessional English course.
For some research degrees we may ask you to attend an interview.
If you are an international student, you may be interviewed over the phone or via Skype.
Applying for a visa
If you are an international student, you may need to apply for a student visa to study in the UK.
Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)
You need to apply for ATAS clearance if you are not a national of an European Area (EEA) country or Switzerland, and you are applying for a science or engineering-based PhD.