Student Life Centre

Once You Are Here


How will I receive my loan?

Your loan will be sent by electronic transfer from the U.S. Department of Education to the University's bank account in two equal instalments and you will receive your loan in two equal instalments in accordance with Federal Student Aid regulations.

The standard loan disbursement dates for the 2017/18 academic year will be:

  • First instalment:        25th September 2017 (autumn term)
  • Second instalment:   5th February 2018 (spring term) 

If you submit a loan application close to the start of the academic year or during the academic year, your disbursement dates will differ from the standard dates above. You will be notified of your disbursement dates and net loan amounts in your Loan Award Letter.

Federal Student Aid regulations require the University to immediately take your tuition and your accommodation fees (if you are in University accommodation) from your loan, before returning any excess to you. The University will take 50% of your fees from your first loan instalment and the remaining 50% from your second loan instalment. Your fee payments will be credited directly to your University student account.

After the University has taken your fees, any loan excess will be refunded to you by cheque. If you are eligible to receive a refund cheque Student Accounts will send an email to your Sussex email account detailing where and when you can collect your cheque. Cheques are issued in sterling and are produced by Western Union on behalf of the University. We would advise you to ensure that you have brought sufficient funds with you, to cover a month's worth of expenses, as it may take up to 10 working days before any excess can be refunded to you.

The exchange rate used by the University to disburse your funds will vary for each disbursement as it is set by Western Union at the point when funds are drawn down from the U.S. Treasury's Federal Reserve System.

How do I open a UK bank account?

You can find information on how to open a UK bank account in the Guide to Opening a Bank Account

National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS)

Details of your loan will be submitted to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) and will be accessible by guaranty agencies, lenders and schools determined to be authorized users of the data system.

In accordance with Federal Student Aid regulations, the University will update your enrolment status in NSLDS every 60 days.

Details of your loan servicer can be found in NSLDS.

You should visit NSLDS to:

  • View a history of any federal student aid that you have received;
  • Update your address;
  • Submit an enrolment change; and
  • Provide an organization authorization to your account

You will need your FSA ID (username and password) to access NSLDS. This is the same FSA ID used to complete the FAFSA.

Watch this video to learn how to find out who your loan servicer is:

In-School Deferment Forms

If you have a form to declare that you are still in-school in order to defer repayments on previous loans, or to prove you are registered, it must be signed by the relevant office below once you are registered and in attendance at the University:

Direct Loan Financial Awareness Counseling

It is strongly recommended that you complete Financial Awareness Counseling via each year that you receive a Direct Loan. 

The counseling will provide basic financial management information, show your current federal student loan debt and provide an estimate of the amount your student loan debt is likely to be when you leave school.

You will need your FSA ID (username and password) to complete the Financial Awareness Counseling. This is the same FSA ID used to complete the FAFSA.

Watch this video to find out how to keep track of your federal student loan balance:


Federal Student Aid website

Through the Federal Student Aid website you can:

  • View your federal student aid history including loan detail and overpayment detail;
  • Find your loan servicer's contact information; and
  • Download your federal student aid history into a text file using the My Data Download function 


The Student Life Centre offers a variety of budgeting services from one-to-one budget planning, an interactive budget planner to money related events throughout the year.

Watch budgeting advice from Federal Student Aid and create your own budget.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

If you are receiving a Direct Loan (Subsidized, Unsubsidized or PLUS) you must progress satisfactorily towards completion of your academic program in order to remain eligible to receive loan support. Your Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) will be checked before each loan disbursement, at the end of each payment period. Download the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy (For 2017/18 Academic Year) [PDF 162.79KB]

Direct Loan Exit Counseling Completion

You must complete exit counseling each year that you receive a Direct Loan. The counseling will provide important information on loan repayment and your rights and responsibilities as a borrower.

Direct loan exit counseling is completed electronically via Click on the Complete Exit Counseling link and follow the instructions.

You must then notify the Financial Aid Office by email ( that you have completed the counseling. A report can then be obtained by the Financial Aid Office that shows that you have met the U.S. Department of Education’s requirement.


Contact Details

The Financial Aid Office are responsible for administering Direct Loans at the University of Sussex. Our contact details are:


Telephone: Marie Hopkins (+44 1273 877307), Mandy Healy (+44 1273 873838) and Katy Viflic (+44 1273 678915) 

Address: Financial Aid Office, Student Life Centre, Bramber House, Level 1, North Side, University of Sussex, Falmer, East Sussex, BN1 9QU, England


Other Contacts

Admissions Office
Student Accounts
Housing Services
International Student Support