|Post:||Professor of Geography (Geography, Sussex Centre for Migration Research)|
|Location:||Arts C C328|
|International:||+44 1273 678744|
|download vCarddownload vCard to your mobile|
BA (London, 1966); MSc (London, 1967); PhD (London, 1970); MLitt (Dublin, 1990)
Russell came to Sussex in 1993; previously he had been Professor of Geography at Trinity College Dublin (1986-93) and Lecturer in Geography at the University of Leicester (since 1970). He has held visiting appointments at the University of Malta (1977), Ben Gurion University of the Negev (1981), the University of Trieste (1990) and Cornell (2005). In 1986 he was awarded the Royal Geographical Society's Edward Heath medal for his work on the geography of Europe and the Mediterranean, and he is Honorary Fellow of the Società Geografica Italiana. At Sussex he was Dean of the School of European Studies (1998-2001), Head of the Geography Department (2004-07) and Director of the Sussex Centre for Migration Research (1998-2011). He is editor of the Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies. During 2012 he will be the Willy Brandt Guest Professor in Migration Studies at the University of Malmö.
Although he has taught widely at undergraduate level in the past, Russell King's teaching has for many years been mostly at postgraduate level, especially on the MA in Migration Studies. He supervises a large group of doctoral students and some postdoctoral fellows, all working on migration. Applicants wishing to study for a doctorate should write in the first instance with a one-page outline of their research ideas to email@example.com
Recently completed DPhils at Sussex supervised by Russell include:
- Mariagiulia Grassilli: Representations of Diversity and Cultural Participation: Performances of Multiculturalism in Bologna and Barcelona (DPhil in Migration Studies, 2002).
- Ayman Zohry: Rural-to-Urban Labour Migration: A Study of Upper Egyptian Labourers in Cairo (DPhil in Geography, 2002).
- Elisabetta Zontini: Family Formation and Gendered Migrations in Bologna and Barcelona (DPhil in Contemporary European Studies, 2002).
- Nicola Mai: Between Losing and Finding Oneself: The Role of Italian Television in the Albanian Migration to Italy (DPhil in Media and Cultural Studies, 2002).
- Anastasia Christou: Narratives of Place, Culture and Identity: Second-Generation Greek-Americans Return 'Home' (DPhil in Geography, 2003).
- Savina Ammassari: Intercontinental Mobility and Return Migration of Elites to the Ivory Coast and Ghana (DPhil in Development Studies, 2003).
- Pontus Odmalm: Political Participation and the Role of Migrant Organisations in Sweden and the Netherlands (DPhil in Comparative Politics, 2004).
- Panos Hatziprokopiou: Globalisation and Contemporary Immigration to Southern European Cities: The Case of Thessaloniki (DPhil in Contemporary European Studies, 2005).
- Ilias Meintanis: The Europeanisation of Immigrant Policies: The Case of Greece (DPhil in Contemporary European Studies, 2005).
- Myriam Cherti: Paradoxes of Social Capital: A Multi-Generational Study of Moroccans in London (DPhil in Migration Studies, 2006).
- João Sardinha: Immigrant Associations and the Integration of Foreigners in Portugal (DPhil in Migration Studies, 2007).
- Nayla Moukarbel: Sri Lankan Housemaids in Lebanon: Symbolic Violence and Everyday Resistance (DPhil in Migration Studies, 2007).
- Nikos Gogonas: Ethnolinguistic Vitality and Language Maintenance in Second-Generation Migrants: A Study of Albanian and Egyptian Pupils in Athens (DPhil in Linguistics, 2007).
- Julie Vullnetari: The Dynamics Between Internal and International Migration: A Development-Oriented Ethnographic Study in Albania (DPhil in Migration Studies, 2008).
- Lena Näre: Managing Households, Making Homes: A Moral Economy of Migrant Domestic and Care Work in Naples (DPhil in Migration Studies, 2008).
- Naluwembe Binaisa: Ugandan migrants in Britain: Negotiating Spaces of 'Home' and 'Belonging' (DPhil in Migration Studies, 2009).
- Ozge Aktas: New Migrants, New City and New Poverty: A Comparative Study of Rural Migrants in Istanbul (DPhil in Sociology, 2009).
- Janine Teerling: The 'Return' of British-Born Greek Cypriots to Cyprus: A Narrative Ethnography (DPhil in Migration Studies 2010).
- Zana Vathi: Second-Generation Albanian Migrants in Europe: Ethnic Identity, Transnational Ties and Pathways for Integration (DPhil in Migration Studies 2011).
- Francesca Conti: Leaving or Staying: An Analysis of Italian Graduates' Migratory Patterns (DPhil in Sociology 2011).
- Diana Mata-Codesal: Social and Material Remittances in Highland Ecuador (DPhil in Migration Studies 2011).
- Giuseppe Scotto: The Political Participation of Migrants: A Study of the Italian Communities in London (DPhil in Politics 2012).
- Dorothea Mueller: Middling Transnationalism and Translocal Lives: Young Germans in the UK (DPhil in Migration Studies in 2012).
- Gunjan Sondhi: Gendering International Student Migration: An Indian Case Study (DPhil in Migration Studies in 2013).
- Maria Abranches: The Route of the Land’s Roots: Connecting Lifeworlds between Guinea-Bissau and Portugal through Food-Related Meanings and Practices (DPhil in Anthropology in 2013).
Current research students include:
- Jill Ahrens: Intra-European Union Onward Migration of Naturalised Citizens of Nigerian Origin (DPhil in Migration Studies).
- Marlon Bristol: The Development and Welfare Impact of Return Migration and Return Migration Policies: A Case Study of Guyana (DPhil in Migration Studies)
- Cemre Erciyes: Return Migration to the Causasus: The Adyghe-Abkhaz Diaspora(s), Transnationalism and Life after Return (DPhil in Migration Studies).
- Elia Sachperoglou: Female Immigrant Employment and Empowerment: Narratives of Albanian Women in Greece (DPhil in Migration Studies).
You can sign-up for an appointment during advice and feedback hours on the sheet on Russell's office door (Arts C 328) or contact him via email.
Dunne, Mairead, King, Russell and Ahrens, Jill (2013) Applying to higher education: comparisons of independent and state schools. Studies in Higher Education. ISSN 0307-5079
King, Russell, Findlay, Allan, Ahrens, Jill and Geddes, Alistair (2013) British Students in the United States: motivations, experiences and career aspirations. In: International students and scholars in the United States: coming from abroad. Palgrave Macmillan, New York. ISBN 9781137024466
King, Russell and Vullnetari, Julie (2012) A population on the move: migration and gender relations in Albania. Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society, 5 (2). pp. 207-220. ISSN 1752-1378 (In Press)
Smith, Darren P and King, Russell (2012) Editorial introduction: Re-making migration theory. Population, Space and Place, 18 (2). pp. 127-133. ISSN 1544-8444
King, Russell (2012) Geography and migration studies: retrospect and prospect. Population, Space and Place, 18 (2). pp. 134-153. ISSN 1544-8444
Findlay, Allan M, King, Russell, Smith, Fiona M, Geddes, Alistair and Skeldon, Ronald (2012) World class? An investigation of globalisation, difference and international student mobility. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers, 37 (1). pp. 118-131. ISSN 0020-2754
King, Russell and Christou, Anastasia (2011) Special Issue: Links to the diasporic homeland: second-generation and ancestral 'return' mobilities. Mobilities, 6 (4). Taylor & Francis, London. ISBN 1745-0101
King, Russell, Christou, Anastasia and Ahrens, Jill (2011) 'Diverse mobilities': second-generation Greek-Germans engage with the homeland as children and as adults. Mobilities, 6 (4). pp. 483-501. ISSN 1745-0101
King, Russell, Castaldo, Adriana and Vullnetari, Julie (2011) Gendered relations and filial duties along the Greek-Albanian remittance corridor. Economic Geography, 87 (4). pp. 393-419. ISSN 0013-0095
Mata-Codesal, Diana, King, Russell and Vullnetari, Julie (2011) Of corridors and dyads: unpacking the family dynamics of remittance transfers to Albania and Ecuador. Working Paper. Centre for Migration Research, University of Sussex, Brighton.
Vullnetari, Julie and King, Russell (2011) Remittances, gender and development: Albania's society and economy in transition. I.B.Tauris & Co Ltd, London. ISBN 9781848854871
King, Russell, Findlay, Allan, Ahrens, Jill and Dunne, Mairead (2011) Reproducing advantage: the perspective of English school leavers on studying abroad. Globalisation, societies and education, 9 (2). pp. 161-181. ISSN 1476-7724
Vullnetari, Julie and King, Russell (2011) Gendering remittances in Albania: A human and social development perspective. Gender and Development, 19 (1). pp. 39-51.
King, Russell, Christou, Anastasia and Teerling, Janine (2011) 'We took a bath with the chickens': memories of childhood visits to the homeland by second-generation Greek and Greek Cypriot 'returnees'. Global Networks, 11 (1). pp. 1-23. ISSN 1470-2266
Christou, Anastasia and King, Russell (2011) Diaspora, migration and transnationalism: insights from the study of second-generation 'returnees'. In: Diaspora and transnationalism: concepts, theories and methods. IMISCOE Research . Amsterdam University Press, Amsterdam. ISBN 9789089642387
King, Russell and Skeldon, Ronald (2010) 'Mind the Gap!': bridging the theoretical divide between internal and international migration. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 36 (10). pp. 1619-1646. ISSN 1369-183X
Ahrens, Jill, King, Russell, Skeldon, Ronald and Dunne, Mairead (2010) Motivations of UK students to study abroad: a survey of school-leavers. Working Paper. University of Sussex.
King, Russell, Findlay, Allan and Ahrens, Jill (2010) International student mobility literature review: final report. Project Report. Higher Education Funding Council for England.
Christou, Anastasia and King, Russell (2010) Imagining "home": Diasporic landscapes of the Greek-German second generation. Geoforum, 41 (4). pp. 638-646. ISSN 0016-7185
King, Russell and Christou, Anastasia (2010) Cultural geographies of counter-diasporic migration: perspectives from the study of second-generation 'returnees' to Greece. Population, Space and Place, 16 (2). pp. 103-119. ISSN 1544-8444
Findlay, A M, King, R, Geddes, A, Smith, F, Stam, A, Dunne, M, Skeldon, R and Ahrens, J (2010) Motivations and experiences of UK students studying abroad. Project Report. Department for Business, Innovation and Skills, London.
Mai, Nicola and King, Russell (2009) Love, Sexuality and Migration: Mapping the Issue(s). Mobilities, 4 (3). pp. 295-307. ISSN 1745-0101
King, Russell (2009) Geography, islands and migration in an era of global mobility. Island Studies Journal, 4 (1). pp. 53-84. ISSN 1715-2593
King, Russell and Vullnetari, Julie (2009) The intersection of gender and generation in Albanian migration, remittances and transnational care. Geografiska Annaler: Series B, Human Geography, 91 (1). pp. 19-38. ISSN 1468-0467
King, Russell and Mai, Nicola (2009) Italophilia meets Albanophobia: paradoxes of asymmetric assimilation and identity processes among Albanian immigrants in Italy. Ethnic and Racial Studies, 32 (1). pp. 117-138. ISSN 0141-9870
King, Russell and Thomson, Mark (2008) The Southern European model of immigration: do the cases of Malta, Cyprus and Slovenia fit. Journal of Balkan and Near Eastern Studies, 10 (3). pp. 265-291. ISSN 1944-8953
King, Russell and Mai, Nicola (2008) Out of Albania: From Crisis Migration to Social Inclusion in Italy. Berghahn Books.
King, Prof Russell, ed. (2007) The History of Human Migration. New Holland, p. 1.
Christou, Anastasia and King, Russell (2006) Migrants encounter migrants in the city: the changing context of "home" for second-generation Greek-American return migration. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, 30 (4). pp. 816-835. ISSN 0309-1317
King, Russell, Dalipaj, Mirela and Mai, Nicola (2006) Gendering migration and remittances: evidence from London and Northern Albania. Population, Space and Place, 12 (6). pp. 409-434. ISSN 1544-8444
Findlay, Allan, King, Russell, Stam, Alexandra and Ruiz-Gelices, Enric (2006) Ever-reluctant Europeans: the changing geographies of UK students studying and working abroad. European Urban and Regional Studies, 13 (4). pp. 291-318. ISSN 0969-7764
King, Russell and Vullnetari, Julie (2006) Orphan pensioners and migrating grandparents: The impact of mass migration on older people in rural Albania. Ageing and Society, 26 (5). 783-816..
Findlay, A M, Stam, A, King, R and Ruiz-Gelices, E (2005) International Opportunities: searching for the meanings of student migration. Geographica Helvetica, 60 (3). pp. 192-200.
King, Prof Russell, Mai, N and Schwander-Sievers, S, eds. (2005) The New Albanian Migration. Sussex Academic Press.
King, Russell and Mai, Nicola (2004) Albanian immigrants in Lecce and Modena: narratives of rejection, survival and integration. Population, Space and Place, 10 (6). pp. 455-477. ISSN 1544-8444
Black, Richard and King, Russell (2004) Editorial Introduction: Migration, Return and Development in West Africa. Population, Space and Place, 10 (2). pp. 75-83. ISSN 1544-8444
King, Russell (2004) Albania: interrelationships between population, poverty, development, internal and international migration. Méditerranée, 103 (3/4). pp. 37-48.
King, Russell (2003) 'Across the sea and over the mountains': documenting Albanian migration. Scottish Geographical Journal, 119 (3). pp. 283-309. ISSN 1470-2541
King, Russell, Mai, Nicola and Dalipaj, Mirela (2003) Exploding the Migration Myths. The Fabian Society/Oxfam.
King, Russell and Ruiz-Gelices, Enric (2003) International student migration and the European "Year Abroad": effects on European identity and subsequent migration behaviour. International Journal of Population Geography, 9 (3). pp. 229-252.
King, Russell (2002) Towards a new map of European migration. International Journal of Population Geography, 8 (2). pp. 89-106. ISSN 1077-3495
King, Russell and Mai, Nicola (2002) Of myths and mirrors: interpretations of Albanian migration. Studi Emigrazione, 39 (145). pp. 161-199.
., (2001) Media and migration: constructions of mobility and difference. Routledge. ISBN 9780415229258
King, Prof Russell, Mas, P De and Beck, JM, eds. (2001) Geography, Environment and Development in the Mediterranean. Sussex Academic Press.
King, Prof Russell, ed. (2001) The Mediterranean Passage: Migration and New Cultural Encounters in Southern Europe. Liverpool University Press.
King, Russell, Warnes, Tony and Williams, Allan (2000) Sunset Lives: British Retirement Migration to the Mediterranean. Berg. ISBN 978-1859733622
Williams, Allan M, King, Russell, Warnes, Anthony and Patterson, Guy (2000) Tourism and international retirement migration: new forms of an old relationship in southern Europe. Tourism Geographies, 2 (1). pp. 28-49.
Unset (1999) Eldorado or fortress? Migration in Southern Europe. Palgrave Macmillan. ISBN 9780333747902