See also our Tools for Language Teachers page on ScoopIt.
- Quizlet and Studystack are free, online flashcard makers which interface to smartphone apps as well as being usable on your computer. Quizlet incorporates audio (though its text-to-speech engine can be inaccurate!), but both offer a variety of games and exercises based on the vocabulary and you can browse other people's flashcard sets.
- Memrise is a novel way to learn vocabulary, by associating vivid memories.
- Screenr lets you record 5-minute screencasts for free and without installing extra software. Your walk-through video can then be downloaded or embedded into your own pages.
- Moodle for Language Teaching (moodle is what underlies this University's Study Direct)
- Nanogong is a free add-on which adds voiceboard capabilities and allows audio assignments.
- Russell Stannard's Teacher Training Videos is full of walkthroughs with various online tools, inspiring ideas and useful links.
- Languages Online Game Makers are downloadable step-by-step 'templates' that allow students and teachers to create interactive language tasks and games using their own text, pictures or voice recordings in any language. They include a Tetris variant as well as the more conventional matching and memory games. From the Australian state of Victoria's Dept of Education & Training.
- Hot Potatoes is an authoring suite (requires installing on your PC or Mac) for making web-based interactive teaching materials: multiple-choice, short-answer, jumbled-sentence, crossword, matching/ordering and gap-fill exercises.
- The Language Menu has a selection of worksheet generators, clipart and bilingual materials (in 14 languages), plus some interactive exercises. Games include bingo, word spiral and split words. A collaboration between several Scandinavian organisations.
- MakeBeliefsComix - create comic strips online with students
- Discovery Puzzlemaker enable teachers to generate puzzles (crosswords, word searches and more unusual types of word puzzle) which can be used online or printed off. There are also tools for making online quizzes, and for printed worksheets (includes some ready-made).
- Type a word into Spellr and see it spelled out in images.
- For copyright-free pictures and media to use when authoring, see our Links for Teachers page.
Organisations and Journals
- EUROCALL is the European Association for Computer Assisted Language Learning, which runs the ReCALL journal - available online for Sussex students and staff.
- CALICO (Computer Assisted Language Instruction Consortium) is a professional US organisation for those interested in language education and technology, with a respected journal (not subscribed at Sussex).
- JALT CALL SIG is the Japanese equivalent (with a free online journal).
- Language Learning & Technology is a web-based academic journal focusing on how the use of technology impacts the process of teaching and learning languages, reporting developments in research and teaching practices.
- System is an international journal of Educational Technology and Applied Linguistics, which can be accessed online at the University of Sussex.
- Computer Assisted Language Learning - another prominent international journal to which Sussex subscribes.
- CALL-EJ Online is an electronic journal on computers and language education from Japan and Australia.
- Google Books Ngram Viewer instantly allows you to graph comparative word/phrase frequency over time, in a variety of languages. Powerful advanced options.
- ICT4LT (Information and Communications Technology for Language Teachers) is a web-based training course with the emphasis on language teaching methodologies that can be implemented successfully with the aid of new technologies.
- Joe Dale's blog Integrating ICT into the MFL classroom.
- The Language Learning and Technology International (LLTI) email list is one of the most venerable means of information exchange and debate among those interested in language learning technology - searching the archives of the discussions can be useful. It has close ties with the American International Association for Language Learning Technology (IALLT), which publishes a journal and a range of monographs.
- Internet Activities for Foreign Language Classes - worksheets for students to complete while accessing the referenced web sites.
- MeLLANGE is a consortium devising a methodology for the collaborative creation of corpus-based e-Learning teaching content in translation, language resource management and technology. It eventually aims to coordinate MA programmes in these fields.
- DELPHI - Developing Language Professionals in Higher Education Institutions offers web-based staff development materials for language teaching, completely free of charge to anyone teaching in UK higher education.
- Language Learning Centre blog
- The Virtual CALL Library - way back...