We are ranked in the top 20 in all three major UK league tables and over 75% of our research activity is categorised as world-leading or internationally excellent (Research Excellence Framework 2014).
University league table rankings
- 19th in the UK: The Complete University Guide (CUG) 2018
- 18th in the UK: The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017 [subscription only]
- 18th in the UK: The Times Higher Education Table of Tables 2017
- 20th in the UK: The Guardian University league tables 2018.
Graduate prospect rankings
- 3rd for graduate prospects:The Guardian University league tables 2018
- 6th for graduate prospects:The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017 [subscription only].
- 149th in the world: The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2016–17
In the QS World Rankings 2017, we have been:
- ranked 187th in the world
- rated number one in the world for Development Studies
- highly rated for research.
Student survey and guide ratings
In the National Student Survey 2016, our results included:
- 89% for student satisfaction
- 92% said staff are good at explaining things
- 90% said they have been able to contact staff when they need to
- 91% said the library resources and services are good enough for their needs.
In The Which? University Guide, we were rated at:
- 87% (highly rated) for student satisfaction
- 87% (highly rated) for diverse local nightlife
- 87% (highly rated) for rich political scene.
In a survey by accommodation providers Student Living by Sodexo, Brighton was ranked the happiest city in England for students, with 93% of University of Sussex and University of Brighton students surveyed saying they’re ‘very happy’ with their education and city life.
Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014
Sussex is a leading research university, as reflected in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF).
Over 75% of research activity at Sussex is categorised as world leading (4*) or internationally excellent (3*) in terms of originality, significance and rigour.
Individual highlights of the REF 2014 results include:
- Sussex History was the highest rated History submission in the UK for the quality of its research outputs
- the Sussex English submission rose from 31st to 9th across the UK since the last research assessment exercise in 2008
- 84% of the University’s research impact in Psychology was rated as the top possible grade, 4*
- Sussex Geography had the most 4*-rated research impact of any Geography submission across the UK.
Overall, the University was placed 36th (of multi-disciplinary institutions) by grade point average (GPA).