Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

If you are an international student applying for a science or engineering based course, you may need to apply for Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) clearance.

What is ATAS? 

ATAS is a scheme run by the UK Government, which requires international students, who are applying for a postgraduate qualification in certain sensitive technology-related subjects, to apply for an ATAS certificate before they can study or conduct research in the UK.

Do I need ATAS clearance?

You need to apply for ATAS clearance if you are not a national of an European Area (EEA) country or Switzerland, and you are applying for a science or engineering-based PhD. 

Use the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website to find out which countries are in the EEA and if you need an ATAS clearance certificate.

How do I apply for ATAS clearance?

If you apply for a course which requires ATAS clearance, you will receive a form containing information about making an ATAS application, along with your offer letter from Sussex. 

To apply for ATAS clearance, complete an online application form on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website.

Which research degrees require ATAS clearance?

You need an ATAS certificate if you are applying for: 

Research - MPhil/PhD:

When should I apply? 

You must have your ATAS clearance in place before you make your student visa application. We cannot issue a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number to you without proof of ATAS clearance. 

You can apply for ATAS clearance after you have received an offer from us, but you must have ATAS clearance before you can register at the University.   

Find out how to apply for ATAS clearance on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website.

You might also be interested in: