Student Life Centre

EU Postgraduate Funding

Advice to EU students

The UK Council for International Student Affairs has published the following advice for students on post-Brexit rules and entitlements.

You can apply for:

  • up to £11,222 (2020/21); when you apply you can specify how much you wish to borrow up to that amount

  • this is a contribution towards the costs of study and it is at the student’s discretion to use the loan towards fees, maintenance costs or other costs;

  • the loan is non-means tested so you can get the maximum loan regardless of your income, assuming you meet the eligibility criteria

  • the loan is paid directly to the student into a UK bank account in 3 installments

Personal Eligibility

You can get the Postgraduate Masters Degree Loan if all of the following apply:

  • you’re a UK or EU national, or have ‘settled status’, so there are no restrictions on how long you can stay

  • you normally live in England, and didn’t move there just to study

  • you’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course

You may also be eligible if you’re an EU national and all the following apply:

  • you’re living in England on the first day of the first year of your course

  • you’ve normally lived in the European Economic Area or Switzerland for the past 3 years (this is also known as being ‘ordinarily resident’)

  • you’ll be studying at a university or college in England

You could also be eligible if you’re:

  • the child of a Swiss national

  • the child of a Turkish worker

  • a refugee or a relative of one

  • an EEA or Swiss migrant worker, or a relative of one

  • under humanitarian protection or a relative of someone who has been granted it

  • 18 or over and have lived in the UK for at least 20 years or at least half your life

It is a government loan and you apply to Student Finance in the same way as an Undergraduate Loan, except it is non-means tested. To qualify you must meet certain residency criteria and be under the age of 60. If you have defaulted on an Undergraduate loan you will not be eligible for a Postgraduate Loan.


Course Eligibility

Your course must start in 2016/17 or later (i.e. on or after 1st August 2016).

Note that your course may have an overseas element but this cannot exceed 50% of the total course.

One and two year full-time courses are eligible for support.  Part-time courses are also eligible, and are subject to a minimum 50% intensity requirement. Note that where the student is studying a two year full-time course on a part-time basis, all payments will be made over the first two years of study.

Eligible courses may be taught or research based, and include professional Master’s courses such as MBAs. There are no subject restrictions.

Integrated Master's and PGCE students will continue to be funded by the undergraduate support system and therefore will not be eligible for the Postgraduate Masters Degree Loan.

Postgraduate qualifications that do not result in a Master's qualifications such as a Postgraduate Diploma or Certificate are not be eligible for the Postgraduate Masters Degree Loan.

Students are not eligible for Postgraduate Masters Degree Loan where they are eligible to apply for a healthcare bursary or are in receipt of a social work bursary from any of the following:

  • National Health Service (NHS)
  • Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety (DHSSPS)
  • Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS)

As there are only a limited number of social work bursaries available,  if the student has not been awarded a social work bursary after applying for one, they may apply for the Postgraduate Masters Degree Loan.


No payments will be released until you have supplied your valid National Insurance Number (NINO) to Student Finance England.  There is no minimum loan request amount. You can amend the amount of loan requested up to one month before the end of the academic year, but cannot request less than has already been paid.

Payments will be released following receipt of confirmation from your HE Provider that you are in study and on track to complete your course within the specified course duration. This must be confirmed at the start of each academic year of the course.

Payments of the Postgraduate Masters Degree Loan will be made in three equal instalments per academic year in September, January and April following confirmation of attendance by University of Sussex.

Repeat Year

Repeat years of study will generally not be funded (even if you did not complete a previous postgraduate course, or requested less than the maximum loan amount). A repeat year will only be funded where you can prove compelling personal reasons for repeating an academic year.

Further funding is not available if you do not complete the course in the specified course length. However you can suspend and resume your course (no payments are made during suspension periods).


Students wanting to withdraw should notify Student Loans Company (SLC) immediately so that payments are not made when you are no longer in study. This will be closely monitored by SLC. Any payment made after the student leaves study will be treated as a loan overpayment.


We're here answering your questions: 💬 Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm and Saturday 9 a.m-4 p.m. 📄 Terms of Use 📍 For Repayment queries @SLC_Repayment

@bethancelia Yes, it will be placed into the queue to be worked and processed by the DSA team. Thanks, Amy

@bethancelia We do not have any current scheduled maintenance on the site. Sorry you are receiving this message. If……

@bethancelia The DSA team can accept the form and evidence directly to their email as well as via post. Thanks, Amy

@BaldwinLeigh Hi there, the team are working through the DMs at the moment. They will be with you shortly. Kind regards, Amy

@bethancelia Hi Beth, yes, this can be sent directly to the DSA team at or uploaded via your online account. Thanks, Amy

Visit SF_England on Twitter