Prof Barbara Einhorn
|Post:||Emiritus Professor (Sociology)|
|Other posts:||Emeritus Professor (Sociology)|
|Emeritus Professor of Gender Studies (Sussex Centre for Migration Research)|
|Location:||Friston Building Fr-233|
|International:||+44 1273 678010|
|download vCarddownload vCard to your mobile|
BA, MA (1st class Hons), PhD (Otago, New Zealand)
Professor of Gender Studies, Department of Sociology, School of Sociology, Law and Politics. Doctoral supervision in the areas of gender, citizenship, nationalism and identity; women's movements; migration and the idea of 'home' and belonging. MA course: Gender, Nation, Identity.
Current Research Interests
- Citizenship, gender and civil society
- Migration in relation to notions of 'home' and belonging
- Nation and identity
- Religion, gender, politics
Barbara has supervised doctoral research on:
- Gender, Law and Public Policy in Post-Authoritarian Regimes: The Cases of Chile and Brazil
- Gender Politics in Trouble: Successes and Failures in the Implementation of Global Feminist Politics in Local Women's Activism in South Korea, 1980s and 1990s
- Lone Motherhood, Social Policy and Women's Citizenship: Women and the Welfare State in South Korea
She welcomes applications in a wide range of comparative and inter-disciplinary gender research areas.
Current DPhil Students' Thesis Topics
- Democratic Theory and Citizenship Practice: Can Democracy Facilitate Gender Equitable Citizenship? A Case Study of Korea
- Expatriate Women's Relationships with Domestic Workers in Singapore
- Gender, Migration, and Social Change: The Return of Filipino Migrant Women Workers
- Intersex: Facing 'Reality' as an XY-Female
- Love, Gender and Power: Intimacy in the Life Trajectories of Lone Mothers
- Nationalism and Masculinity in the Context of Cyprus
Patriarchy and Honour Based Violence: A Case Study of Honour Killings in Turkey
MA in Gender Studies: Option in: Gender Nation Identity.
Related professional roles: Associate Editor, The European Journal of Women's Studies; Editorial board member: International Feminist Journal of Politics, and Asian Journal of Women's Studies. Barbara has acted as a consultant on gender to the United Nations women's programme (UNIFEM), to the International Labour Organisation (ILO) and to the World Bank.
Einhorn, Barbara and Evans, Mary (2011) Religion, gender, politics: questioning the secular. Zed Books, London.
Einhorn, Barbara (2010) Citizenship in an enlarging Europe: from dream to awakening. Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke. ISBN 9780230273337
Einhorn, Barbara (2009) Democratization, nationalism, and citizenship: the challenge of gender. In: Gender Politics in Post-Communist Eurasia. Michigan State University Press, East Lansing, MI, pp. 47-66. ISBN 9780870138669
Einhorn, Barbara, ed. (2008) Special Issue: Questioning the secular: religion, gender, politics. European Journal of Women's Studies, 15 (3). Sage Publications, London, pp. 155-313. ISBN 1350-5068
Einhorn, Barbara (2006) Citizenship, civil society and gender mainstreaming: complexities of political transformation in central and eastern Europe. In: Women's Citizenship and Political Rights. Women's Rights in Europe . Palgrave Macmillan, London, pp. 67-85. ISBN 9781403949943
Einhorn, Barbara (2006) Citizenship, civil society and gender mainstreaming: complexities of political transformation in central and eastern Europe. In: Women's citizenship and political rights. Palgrave Macmillan, London, pp. 67-85. ISBN 9781403949943
Einhorn, Barbara and Sever, Charlotte (2003) Gender and Civil Society in Central and Eastern Europe. International Feminist Journal of Politics, 5(2). pp. 163-190. ISSN 1461-6742
Einhorn, Barbara (2000) Gender, nation, landscape, and identity in narratives of exile and return. Women's Studies International Forum, 23 (6). 701 - 713. ISSN 02775395
Einhorn, Barbara (1993) Cinderella goes to market: citizenship, gender and women's movements in east central Europe. Verso, Oxford. ISBN 9780860916154