Department of Social Work and Social Care

Student support and services

1. Parent carers

Children's Information Service (CIS)

The Children's Information Service (CIS) provides a wide range of information and advice on services for families with children aged 0-14 years, or 16 years if the child has special needs. They can tell you about:

Brighton Town Hall Bartholomew Square Brighton BN1 1JA, UK Open Monday to Friday 9am-5pm T +44 (0)1273 293545

Search for childcare on their website – you will find details of many nurseries, playgroups, out of school clubs, holiday schemes and childminders here but please note some providers choose to only advertise through the helpline. They are also happy to visit groups and attend events in the City – simply get in touch and they'll see what they can do! The CIS is part of the Early Years Development and Childcare Partnership.

SPIN (Single Parent Information Network), Brighton

SPIN is a voluntary organisation providing information and signposting of services locally and nationally. Mentoring is also provided for single parents by single parents.

Garden flat, 151 Ditchling Rise Brighton BN1 4QQ, UK T +44 (0)1273 675773 E

On-campus childcare facilities

Creche: T +44 (0)1273 678536 or +44 (0)1273 877629 for the Baby Unit E
Nursery: T +44 (0)1273 678357 E

Both open Monday to Friday 8.40am to 5.30pm.

2. Carers of people who are ill, frail or have a disability

Carers Centre for Brighton and Hove

They offer one-to-one emotional support, information and advocacy for adult carers. They also offer a variety of groups and classes and a range of tools for carers such as carer passports and carer alert cards. They hold quarterly Carers' Forums where carers have the opportunity to talk directly to senior managers from local public services. Their Young Carers project provides support, advocacy, clubs, activities and group work for children aged 5-15.

Community Base 113 Queens Road Brighton BN1 3XG T +44 (0)1273 234045 E

Visiting their website provides detailed links to a variety of national carer's organisations.

3. Other useful contact numbers/services

Free counselling services

On campus:

  • Psychological and Counselling Services University of Sussex T +44 (0)1273 678156 E Includes individual counselling, group work and stress management.
  • Social Work Carers' Forum: an online discussion forum for members of social work courses E

Off campus:

Up to 25 years old:

Accommodation advice and information

Residential Services, Bramber House University of Sussex T +44 (0)1273 678228 E

Financial support

For information about benefit entitlements and other financial support, contact: Advice and Representation Centre (Students' Union) Falmer House University of Sussex T +44 (0)1273 677038 E

The latest Advice and Representation Centre publication, which can be picked up at the Advice and Representation Centre and is also available online, provides practical advice and information on a range of issues specific to being a parent at Sussex