Sussex's strategic plan, Making the future, sets out an ambitious vision for our research to take us through to 2015 and beyond.
To develop the international renown of the University of Sussex as a research-intensive centre of creative thinking, learning and discovery, where excellence and innovation flourish and every individual is encouraged to make a lasting contribution
Our research strategies
- Delivering solutions to complex, real-world problems using an interdisciplinary approach
- Attracting world-leading researchers, developing Sussex's existing strengths and new lines of intellectual enquiry
- Encouraging existing staff to reach their full potential in research, enhancing their career development with clear performance standards and high-quality support
- Developing the research potential and impact of postgraduate research students, including through the development of a Doctoral School
- Expanding the funding streams for our research, and translating research into practical applications
- Understanding and influencing the external research and policy agenda
- Improving support from the Research Professional Services
Research targets for 2015-16
- All research to be recognised as internationally significant, with a proportion to be world leading
- Increase the number of postgraduate research students per staff FTE from 1.6 to 2.0
- Increase annual research grant and contract income from £22.1 million to £54 million
- Annual increases in contract and services income from business, industry and nongovernment sources
- Increase annual overhead recovery contribution from £4.7 million to £18 million
How is Sussex progressing so far?
- The proportion of postgraduate research students per full-time members of staff has increased to 1.7 in 09/10 (up from 1.6, with an eventual goal of 2.0 by 2015).
- Research income has grown by 9 per cent and contribution by 21 per cent (07/08 to 08/09).
- The Doctoral School has been established, with ambitious plans, for providing an exciting environment through which all researchers across the University can interact.
- Benchmark profiles for all schools of studies have been developed as part of the research planning process. We are working with schools and individuals in order to develop specific individual research plans.
- Research and Enterprise has undergone an initial restructure, with the aim of improving the support offered to academic units.
- We have created new roles for Directors of Research, Directors of Knowledge Exchange, and Directors of Doctoral Studies in each school.
- There is a new approach to running the Research Committee, by involving the new Directors of Knowledge Exchange, Directors of Doctoral Studies and Heads of Schools.
What's next for Sussex research?
Over the next year, the schools will be implementing the actions described in their individual research plans. A new costing tool is about to go live, and we will be writing business case and specifications for research management systems. We have initiated a project to develop an institutional repository in order to better manage Sussex research and promote it externally. And we will continue our preparations for the new Research Excellence Framework.