As a research-led university, the quality of our research underpins our entire academic endeavour. Our key goal is to deliver internationally recognised, high-quality research of lasting academic value and with impact that will benefit and enrich society.
Our core strategic goals
- increasing the number of research-leading staff, and developing a competitive, sustainable critical mass in research in targeted areas
- having at least 50% of our units of assessment placed in the top 15 by 2018, with an overall place in the top 20 in the UK’s national assessment of research quality
- doubling our research income to £54 million
- increasing the number of doctoral researchers to achieve an average of two for each member of staff
- creating three new large interdisciplinary research centres.
Quality and impact in research
To secure and enhance quality in research, we aim to achieve:
- critical mass in key research areas
- research that has high impact identified through its use and public recognition
- an increase in research income
- an improvement in our factilities, structures and support.
See full details of Our Strategy: Making the Future 2013-2018