School of Law, Politics and Sociology

Transferring to an LPS degree

Guidance on Course Transfers for Undergraduate Students (including Foundation Students) and Postgraduate Students

Undergraduate Application to Transfer Course

This page provides guidance on the course transfer process and a link to the course transfer application form for students wishing to transfer to a course owned by the School of Law, Politics and Sociology only.

The guidance contains important information about the criteria for considering applications and the implications of transferring, so please read this page fully before proceeding to the application form.

Mid-year transfers into and between Law courses are not possible. If you are experiencing issues with your current course, please discuss your next steps with your course coordinator in the first instance.

Please note that the application to transfer form is only for students who wish to change their whole degree course effective in the current academic year.  If you wish to remain on your existing course but add or remove a placement or study abroad year, please contact your School Curriculum and Assessment  Officer ( If you wish to change a module within your course, please contact your course co-ordinator. If you wish to temporarily withdraw from your current course and return to a different course next academic year, please contact instead of completing the online form below.

How can I apply to transfer?

Please complete the transfer application form via the link below.  Please note that you must apply via the webpages of the school that owns the course to which you wish to transfer.  If you are not sure which school owns the course you wish to apply to, please ask your current School Office.

In the section ‘reason for transfer’, write a personal statement regarding why you want to transfer to your chosen degree course and explain why it may suit you better than your current course. This will be shared with members of staff who process transfer applications. Please note that you have not transferred until the school confirms that your transfer is complete – in the meantime you must continue attending classes on your current course in case your transfer request is declined.

For more details on how to transfer please email:


When can I request a transfer?

Course transfers are usually effective from the beginning of Semester 1, or more exceptionally from the beginning of Semester 2 (please note it is not possible for Foundation students to transfer to a different Foundation course or into stage 1 of a degree course effective from Semester 2). Mid-year transfers into and between Law courses are not possible. Transfers for Semester 1 can be applied for from 1st August 2024. Transfers for Semester 2 can be requested from the last day of the Semester 1 teaching period (13th December 2024).

The deadline to apply for a course transfer is the Friday of the second week of teaching in each semester. For the academic year 2024/25 these deadlines are:

• Friday 4th October 2024 for Semester 1
• Friday 7th February 2025 for Semester 2

Please note that it will not be possible to transfer within the same semester after these deadlines. If you do not wish to continue on your current course and have either missed the transfer window or know you want to restart the stage/start from an earlier stage on a different course, you may be able to temporarily withdraw and return the following academic year to restart the stage/semester on a new course.  If you are considering doing this, please seek advice from your Academic Advisor and the Student Centre.  If you decide that this is what you want to do, please contact to apply for a transfer.

How will my transfer application be considered?

The Admissions Tutor(s) for your requested course will review your entry qualifications and your academic record so far at Sussex.  They may approve your application based on this information and your form alone, or they may ask to meet with you to discuss the transfer. 

You must meet the entry requirements of the new course and your transfer application may be declined on academic grounds.  Your transfer may also be declined if the course you have requested is full. Transfers requested for Semester 2 may be declined where the structure of either your current or the new course would not enable you to complete 120 credits in the stage (i.e. where the course structure includes year-long modules).

If the course you have applied to transfer to has any additional entry requirements (e.g. a criminal convictions disclosure or health check), you will be contacted with further information on what is required.

What happens next?

You will receive an email to let you know whether your transfer application has been accepted or declined.  This will usually happen within 2 weeks of submitting your transfer application form.

If your transfer has been accepted, you may then be asked to choose option/elective modules.  Please note that spaces on option/elective modules may be limited and some modules may not be available.  You will be assigned a new Academic Advisor within your new subject area and your course title and teaching and assessment timetables will be updated.  Once you have received your new timetable, you should start attending modules for your new course.  If you are in receipt of funding from Student Finance we will inform them that you have transferred course. You should ensure you can receive funding for the duration of the new course before requesting a transfer. 

If your transfer request is declined and you require further advice about your studies, you should speak to either your Academic Advisor or the Director of Student Experience in your school. You cannot appeal against a decision to decline an application to transfer course, as decisions are based on academic judgement.

Important information for ALL students considering a transfer:

• Students on an undergraduate degree may apply to transfer into the same stage of a different degree, or to transfer back to an earlier stage. 

• You will need to gain 120 credits for each stage of your course to be awarded a degree. If you wish to transfer without restarting your current stage/semester on your new course, you will need to complete all assessments for your current stage/semester to gain the credits required.  If you were due to take any trailed assessments from a previous stage, you will still need to take these unless you are restarting the stage to which they originally belonged. 

• Students on a Foundation course may apply to transfer onto a different Foundation course, or they may apply to transfer onto a degree course for which they meet the entry requirements.  If you transfer onto a degree course for which you have met the entry requirements, you do not need to complete your Foundation course, but may do so if you wish to. 

• If you transfer back to an earlier stage you will be asked to sign a Learning Agreement (please see Academic Quality and Partnerships for details).  University regulations normally allow a maximum of two years to complete a stage of study (for full-time students), including where you have transferred course. The purpose of the Learning Agreement is to monitor and encourage engagement with your new course,.

• Transfers back to an earlier stage of study may have implications for fees and funding.  For further information, please contact  Please note that as a returning student you will not be entitled to university housing and will have to make your own arrangements for accommodation.

• If you transfer back to an earlier stage of study any marks and credits achieved will not be retained for progression and award purposes.

• Once you are on a degree-level course (i.e. not a Foundation Year) a maximum period of registration applies.  For an undergraduate course, this is usually the standard length of your course plus three years.

Important information for Tier 4 visa students only:

• If you are studying at the University on a Tier 4 student visa, any transfer will be reported to UK Visas and Immigration. You should seek advice from the International Student Support Team for information on how your 5-year cap will be affected by any course change. (

• If you are applying to transfer back to an earlier stage of study, or to restart your current stage on a new course, you will need to apply for a new visa before starting the new course. This is because you are changing course and you cannot complete your new course within the same time as your old one. You will need to apply from your home country, so please make sure you do this in plenty of time, so that you can arrive in time for teaching for the new academic year.  If you are adding a placement year or year abroad to your course, please speak with an advisor in International Student Support, for the different options on applying for a visa extension to cover your final year.

• If you are changing schools or if the new course is not connected to your previous course, both you and your school will need to provide us with a justification for the transfer for UKVI purposes.

• Once your transfer has been approved and providing that you have enough time to apply for your new visa, the University will issue you with a new CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies).

Important information for overseas (non-EU) students only:

You should note that if you transfer to a degree course in a higher fee band your fees will rise when you begin that course.  If your fees are paid by a sponsor, please check with them directly whether the transfer will affect your sponsorship. 

Postgraduate students

If you are a Postgraduate student wishing to transfer, please complete this PDF form and email it to during the application window.