School of Business, Management and Economics

BMEc student FAQ

Where can I check my timetable?

On Sussex Direct go to Study page, click on Study Timetable. Note that you have a weekly timetable; your courses may be timetabled differently in each week, so please make sure you check all ten weeks.

Where can I find out whether a lecturer/tutorial/practice has been cancelled or rearranged?

The BMEc School Office (located on the ground floor of the Jubilee Building, Room G08) should inform you of any changes to timetabling via email and the notice boards, however if you are unsure, please contact your department's Course Co-ordinator/s.

Where can I find lecture or seminar notes?

These can be found on Study Direct. You can see which courses have this resource by the Study Direct symbol shown beside the module details on your Sussex Direct pages. To access these sites you will need to use your normal University log-in and passwords.

Where can I get a 'To Whom It May Concern' letter for my bank, etc?

Please email If the letter is for a bank account, please include the name of the bank. BMEc School office staff will email you back when your letter is ready for collection.

Postgraduates and ex-students
Please email (Student Progress and Assessment Office).

Who can I talk to if I am going through personal problems?

Visit the Student Life Centre, located on the ground floor of Chichester 1, where you can talk to one of the Student Life Team about any concerns.

Who can I talk to seek advice about my academic progress?

Contact your Academic Advisor. You should see his/her name and contact details in Sussex Direct. If you cannot find this information, ask your Course Co-ordinator.

Where can I find my candidate number? Why do I need it?

On Sussex Direct go to Study page: click to view your candidate number. This number is also shown on your University ID card. You will need both your candidate number and ID card for submitting work and when you sit exams.

Where do I hand in my work?

All coursework that is run or owned by this School (BMEc) should be handed in to the School Office, Jubilee G08. For joint courses that are owned by another School, the work needs to go to that School. This also applies to electives.

How do I submit work online?

For first year undergraduate students, you are now able to submit text based coursework online via E-submissions. Please see our e-submission and e-feedback page for more information about submitting work online. 

Where do I hand in late work?

Once past the 24-hour deadline, work still needs to be handed into the BMEc School Office, Jubilee G08, or owning School (see above), for inputting onto the electronic submission sheet. We are unable to accept the work in the school office after the 7 day deadline.

Do I need two copies of my work when submitting?

Yes, unless requested otherwise by the Course Convenor.

Where do I collect my marked work from?

You will be notified by email when work is ready to collect. It will usually be available for collection from either the School Office. There are exceptions for Minor/Joint marked work which should be collected from the place you submitted.

What happens if I non-submit/submit late for medical reasons/mitigating circumstances?

If you have mitigating circumstances you would like to be taken into account, you should visit the Student Life Centre and speak to a Student Support Co-ordinator. They will make an appointment for you to see a Student Advisor. You can obtain a mitigating evidence form at the Centre or download a form via the link on Sussex Direct. You will find the Student Life Centre on the ground floor of Chichester 1.

Note: Mitigating evidence can be submitted to cover absence from unseen exams, in-class tests and presentations.

How do I find out if my mitigating circumstances have been accepted?

You will be notified of the outcome by letter or email, after the Mitigating Evidence Committee has met (once a term). For late work (up to 24 hours), the system will show the mark with the penalty applied. For Very Late work (over 24 hours), a mark will be given for information only, and a '0' entered on the record. If the lateness is condoned by MEC then the mark will be altered/reinstated.

Where can I see my marks?

Your marks will appear on Sussex Direct. If you log on and click to view your Study Pages, you can click on the Course Results tab to see your marks. The Course Progress tab will also give you information on your current work.

Where can I get an official transcript of my marks?

If you have not yet completed your degree, your official marks will appear on Sussex Direct only. Please note that an overall mark is only available after Classification, and not at the end of each academic year. Once you have completed your degree, you will need to fill in a Transcript Request Form, obtainable from Student Systems, email:

Where can I buy a photocopying card? Where can I recharge it?

Photocopy cards are available from the Main Library. There are machines available in the Main Library for recharging.

Who do I ask for reference letters for jobs, etc?

Your Academic Advisor is the best person to go to for a reference, as they will have had regular contact with you throughout your University career. Requests for references are not usually refused, but it is polite to ask the proposed referee before sending in the request.

Can my work be re-marked if I am unhappy with my result?

The academic judgement of examiners is not subject to appeal, so it is not possible for your work to be re-marked. However, the University has a robust checking mechanism in place to ensure all marks are fair. A sample of assessed work on each module contributing to classification is moderated by another internal examiner and is then checked by an external examiner from a different university.

If you receive a disappointing mark, the best thing you can do is learn from the experience and work out how to avoid the same thing happening again. You can do this in the following ways:

1. Read the assessment feedback carefully. If you don’t understand it, visit the module convenor during his/her student consultation times to ask for clarification.

2. Discuss your academic progress with your Academic Advisor and/or one of the BMEc Student Mentors ( They are here to help you overcome any academic problems you face.

3. Make use of the university’s support services. The Study Success at Sussex website ( contains lots of helpful information, and allows you to sign up for skills workshops. 

4. You can also get helpful advice on study skills, exam and assessment preparation and techniques from the Skills Hub (