19th in the UK overall
8th in the UK for investment in services and facilities
24th in the UK overall
65th in Europe
140th in the world
24th in the UK for research
87% (highly rated) for student satisfaction
87% (highly rated) for diverse local nightlife
87% (highly rated) for rich political scene
The Which? University Guide
Research Excellence Framework – REF 2014
In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF), over 75 per cent of research activity at Sussex is categorised as world leading or internationally excellent in terms of originality, significance and rigour.
Individual highlights of the REF 2014 results include:
- Sussex History was the highest rated History submission in the UK for the quality of its research outputs
- The Sussex English submission rose from 31st to 9th across the UK since the last research assessment exercise in 2008
- 84 per cent of the University’s research impact in Psychology was rated as the top possible grade, 4*
- Sussex Geography had the most 4* rated research impact of any Geography submission across the UK.
Overall, the University was placed 36th (of multi-disciplinary institutions) by GPA.
Read the full breakdown of REF results.
National Student Survey 2015
- 87% overall student satisfaction
- 92% said that staff are good at explaining things
- 89% said that they have been able to contact staff when they need to
- 88% said that staff are enthusiastic about what they are teaching
- 87% found their course intellectually stimulating
Academic Ranking of World Universities 2015
The Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU), published by the Center for World-Class Universities at Shanghai Jiao Tong University, puts Sussex in the 151–200 globally, and within the top 18–21 in the UK.