We collect information from visitors to this website through the use of online forms. We collect your details when you email us with an enquiry. We also collect information about the transactions you undertake through this site including details of payment cards used.
In addition to the above, we collect information automatically about your visit to our website. Please see the page on ‘Cookies’ for more details.
If you have any requests concerning your personal information please contact the Information Officer at email@example.com.
Use of personal information
We may process personal information collected via this website or other electronic communications networks used by the University, for the following purposes.
Advertising, Marketing, Public Relations, General Advice Services:
- The identification of recipients for University services and administration of promotional campaigns
- The advertising and promotion of the University and its services including by direct marketing means
- The advertisement and provision of general advice to members of the public about University services
- The advertisement and promotion of the University through third party products and services e.g. financial sponsorship
- Fundraising for the University and other organisations (excluding fundraising through alumni).
Accounts and records:
- The administration of supplier records relating to goods, orders, services
- Accounts provided to the University
- Administration of education and training such as registration
- Calculation and publication of exam results, provision of references
- Provision of education and training such as the planning and control of curricula and exams, and commissioning, validating and producing educational materials
- Administration of applications e.g. receipt and processing of UCAS forms, compilation of statistics, assessments including preliminary and confirmed offers, liaison with UCAS
- Preparation of DFEE returns
- Administration of student awards and fees
- Administration of the discipline scheme
- Administration of the academic appeals scheme
- Administration of visiting and exchange students and students on the year abroad
Student Support Services:
- Administration and management of University and privately owned property including accommodation services
- Administration of grants and loans e.g. student loans and access loans
- Administration and provision of health care services
- Administration and provision of library services including membership records, loan/hire records, information and databank administration
- Ticket issue/reservation services
- Administration and provision of a student card
- Administration and provision of welfare and pastoral services
- Careers guidance
- Provision of creche facilities
- Administration and provision of computing facilities
- Administration and provision of student union services
- Other commercial or information services such as the University magazines
- The promotion of the relationship between the University and its alumni
- University-related fundraising initiatives involving alumni
- Advertising and promotion of alumni events and reunions
- Distribution of University mailings e.g. alumni magazines, newsletters, annual reports, and message forwarding (without disclosure of data)
- The promotion of benefits and services available to alumni from third parties
- Eliciting non-financial support such as careers advice to students and help with student recruitment
- Advertising, Marketing & Public Relations For Others
Data Capture Information
We will send you information according to the preferences you submitted via our online form. If you would like to change these preferences at any point, please:
- Use the link on the bottom of the last email you received from us if you are a prospective or existing student
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are a former student
Alternatively you can call us on 01273 877456 (prospective / existing students) or 01273 678258 (former students). Alternatively you can also write to us at Marketing, University of Sussex, Sussex House, Brighton, BN1 9RH.
Please note that your information may be used to send you details of those products or services that we offer that we have identified as likely to be of interest to you. This will be in accordance with the preferences that you indicated when you completed the application form or the online form.
Please contact us using the link on the bottom of the last email you received from us, or write to Marketing, University of Sussex, Sussex House, Brighton, BN1 9RH, if at any point you would like to:
- opt-out of receiving communications from us
- change the channels (such as email or post) that we use to contact you
- ask us at any point not to share your information with third parties for marketing purposes.
Data Protection and disclosures
Any personal data captured by the University is used and held in accordance with the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998.
We will only disclose data when obliged to disclose personal data by law or we have your consent, and to the following:
- Other companies within our group of companies
- University of Sussex Student Union
- Business partners
- Suppliers we engage to process data on our behalf or marketing companies employed by the University (where we have a non-disclosure agreement)
- Funding councils and other funding bodies
- Higher Education Statistics Agency
- Legal representatives
Subject access requests
You have the right to see what personal data we hold about you. To obtain a copy of the personal information we hold about you, please write to the Information Officer at Planning, Governance and Compliance, University of Sussex, Sussex House, Brighton, BN1 9RH or email email@example.com. Please note that we reserve the right to charge a fee of up to £10 for any such request.
Given that the Internet is a global environment, using it to collect and process personal data necessarily involves the transmission of data on an international basis. This means, for instance, that data you pass to us may be processed outside the European Economic Area, although the data will always be held securely and in line with the requirements of UK data protection legislation. By communicating electronically with us, you acknowledge and agree to our processing of personal data in this way.
Please refer to the cookies information page.