Through our Summer Schools, all students will get an experience of university study, staying in halls of residence, interacting with our fully-trained and DBS-checked student ambassadors, and taking part in social activities throughout the three days.
Year 10 Summer School
Our Year 10 Summer Schools run across two weeks in July and are open to First Generation Students from our partner schools across Sussex and London. They run across the following dates:
Week One runs 5-7 July 2017
- Week Two runs 10-12 July 2017.
They are the same in content, offering students the choice of taking part in one of two different subject strands – either Communicating Science or Our World.
Students will take part in four taster sessions, in four distinct branches of Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths.
Led by our academic tutors, and using lab space and equipment, students will learn what it is like to be a first year undergraduate in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) subject. Subjects are still to be confirmed but previous examples of workshops include:
- Chemistry – superfoods
- Physics – masterclasses with interactive games and activities
- Biology – how creatures adapt in the wild.
Students will take part in four taster sessions, in four different areas of the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences.
Led by our academic tutors, students will take part in interactive workshops which explore a variety of topics and themes. Subjects are still to be confirmed but previous examples of workshops include:
- Geography – development and poverty around the world
- Music – creating soundtracks
- Law – understanding your rights and criminal advocacy trials.
Examples of activities that everyone will be doing include:
- sports and leisure evening
- Student Union night, with student society mini-tasters and pizza in the Union
- inspirational and motivational speakers.
Contact your school coordinator to apply. The application deadline is Friday 24 March 2017.
Year 12 Summer School
This runs from Monday 24 July until Thursday 27 July 2017. Applications are now open.
How to apply
Choose one subject from Chemistry, Physics, Maths, History, English, Media Practice, Law, Psychology (detailed subject information to follow).
Apply online for our Year 12 Summer School. The closing date for applications is 28 April 2017.
What to expect
The Summer School is a great opportunity for students to:
- gain degree-level insight into an academic subject they are interested in
- stay in the halls of residence with other students from Sussex, London and all over the UK
- talk to our Summer School Ambassadors (current undergraduate students) to gain a real insight into undergraduate life at university
- experience the fun and social side of university such as sports unique to Sussex, a taster Student Union night, cooking on a budget student workshop, chill out and pizza nights at the Student Union and a Brighton Photo Challenge
- experience key note lectures and workshops on revision techniques and higher education finance.
Applications are open to all, however priority will be given to first generation scholars (first in the family to go to university) or students who meet the following:
- receive free school meals
- young carers
- those in local care or who have a disability.
This year the programme is open to all Year 12 students and Year 13 students who have not yet decided about university or applied to a university or have had a change of direction.
Places on the Summer School are free and include all accommodation, travel and meals.
You can email our Academic Events and Summer School team at email@example.com to find out more about our Summer Schools.
Watch our Summer School video from 2016