Student Life Centre

Consumer Information

Federal regulations require schools to disclose specific consumer information to prospective and enrolled students.

The following is a summary of the consumer information topic areas with links to policies, information and resources. If you need assistance or paper copies, please contact the University's Financial Aid Administrators.

Student Financial Aid Information

For information about all the need-based and non-need-based federal, local, private and institutional student financial assistance programs available to students who enroll at the University of Sussex, please see the following web pages:

Please see our American Student Loans and Federal Student Aid web pages for information about:

  • Terms and conditions of the Title IV, HEA (Higher Education Act) loans
  • Criteria for selecting recipients and for determining the award amount
  • Eligibility requirements and procedures for applying for aid
  • Methods and frequency of disbursements of aid
  • Rights and responsibilities of students receiving Title IV, HEA student financial aid, including the criteria for continued student eligibility and standards for Satisfactory Academic Progress
  • Terms of loans received as part of the financial aid package and the necessity for repaying loans
  • Procedures and forms by which students apply for assistance
  • The exit counseling information the University collects and provides to servicers

Please note at the University of Sussex:

  • Programs with a compulsory study abroad year are not eligible for financial aid 
  • Programs with a voluntary (optional) study abroad period are not eligible for financial aid 
  • Employment is not provided as part of the financial aid package 
Facilities and Services Available to Students with Disabilities

Information about the facilities and services available to students with disabilities, including students with intellectual disabilities known as Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLD), is available from:

Price (Cost) of Attendance
Refund Policy, Requirements for Withdrawal and Return of Title IV Financial Aid
Academic Program (Educational Program, Instructional Facilities and Faculty)

Current degree programs and instructional, laboratory and other physical plant facilities that relate to the academic program:

Other educational and training programs:

Faculty and other instructional personnel

Privacy of Student Records and Data Security

Your rights under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) 2018 are outlined on the University's Data Protection web pages including your right to access your personal data and how to make a data access request.

The University's information security policies and procedures can be found here including:

Should you have a complaint about the processing or handling of your data, you have the right to file a complaint with the US Department of Education, although it would be preferable for you to contact the University in the first instance so that we can try to resolve the problem for you.

Student Loan Information Published by the US Department of Education

The University will provide information published by the US Department of Education to students at any time that information regarding loan availability is requested, including the rights and responsibilities of students and schools under Title IV HEA (Higher Education Act) loan programs.

National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS)

If you take out a Direct Subsidized, Direct Unsubsidized or Direct PLUS loan through the University of Sussex the details of your loan will be submitted to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) and will be accessible by guaranty agencies, lenders and schools determined to be authorized users of the data system.

Entrance Counseling for Student Loan Borrowers

Prior to the first disbursement, first-time borrowers of a Federal Direct Loan (other than Parent PLUS loans) will be provided with comprehensive information on the terms and conditions of the loan and of the borrower’s responsibilities through Entrance Counseling. The University of Sussex requires Entrance Counseling to be completed through before a loan is approved.

PLUS Credit Counseling for Student Loan Borrowers

Prior to the first disbursement, borrowers (students and parents) who are informed by the US Department of Education that they have an adverse credit history (and have obtained an endorser or documented extenuating circumstances to the satisfaction of the US Department of Education) will be required to complete PLUS Credit Counseling. The University of Sussex requires PLUS Credit Counseling to be completed through

Exit Counseling for Student Loan Borrowers

The University will provide Exit Counseling to borrowers of loans under the Direct Loan program (other than Parent PLUS loans) shortly before the student borrower ceases at least half-time study at the University. The University of Sussex requires Exit Counseling to be completed through Any student who fails to complete Exit Counseling via will be sent by post a copy of the Exit Counseling Guide published by the US Department of Education.

Private Education Loan Disclosures (Including Self-Certification Form)

You may choose to take out a private loan through a private education lender. You should, however, in the first instance check out your eligibility for federal Direct Loans as the terms and conditions of these loans may be more favourable than those for private education loans. 

Code of Conduct for Education Loans

University of Sussex Code of Conduct for Education Loans

In order to prohibit a conflict of interest with the responsibilities of an agent with respect to private education loans, all agents at the University of Sussex with responsibility for US loans are prohibited from:

  • Revenue-sharing arrangements with any lender;
  • Receiving gifts from a lender, a guarantor, or a loan servicer;
  • Contracting arrangements providing financial benefit from any lender or affiliate of a lender;
  • Directing borrowers to particular lenders* or refusing or delaying loan certifications;
  • Offers of funds for private loans;
  • Call center or financial aid office staffing assistance; and
  • Advisory board compensation.

All agents with responsibility for US loans are reminded annually of the provisions of the code.

 * If a student / parent is applying for a private US education loan, the University of Sussex will work with whichever private education lender they decide to use, if the lender is willing to work with the University of Sussex (a foreign institution). Please note that the University of Sussex is only aware of three private education lenders currently offering such loans: Sallie Mae; VSAC (for Vermont residents) and HESAA (for New Jersey residents). Sallie Mae, VSAC and HESAA are not preferred lenders and this does not represent a preferred lender arrangement.

Tax Return (IRS Tax Form 1098-T)

The University does not currently complete IRS Tax Form 1098-T for students (or parents of dependent undergraduate students) to claim an education tax credit. The University does not have an Employer Identification Number (EIN) which is required on the tax form and the form will be rejected without this number.

Student Accounts provide, upon request, a receipt for tuition fees paid that you can submit with your tax return. To request a receipt please call Student Accounts on: +44 800 849 4979 or email:

University Regulations and Policies


Financial Aid Administrators

For correspondence regarding Federal Student Aid, please use the following email address:


Financial Aid Office
Student Life Centre
Bramber House, Level 1, North Side
University of Sussex
Falmer, East Sussex