- Culturethèque from the Institut français in London offers French cultural content online such as ebooks, films and audio, including some learning resources.
- France in London includes details of current French events and films in our capital, alongside articles on a range of subjects.
- Google.fr - French version of the ubiquitous search engine, Yahoo! France similarly for the famous web directory.
News & media on-line
- ina.fr (Institut National Audiovisuel Français) - an archive of televised news and special reports from national French channels.
- Le Monde - the full edition online (though a charge is made for in-depth stories).
- Libération offers a partial online service - each day's front page is available in Adobe Reader format, plus several top stories in full and the occasional special.
- Google Actualités France allows you to search and browse hundreds of continuously updated news sources.
- TF 1 and France 2 have rich websites, with a lot of backup materials.
- M6 is another French TV channel, which has useful 6 minute news slots available online. TV5 carries a good video summary too, with access to individual news items.
- Lyon Capitale is a Lyonnaise weekly news magazine.
- Dernières Nouvelles d'Alsace is another regional newspaper.
- Radio France - the state broadcaster includes such stations as France Inter, France Info, Radio Bleu, and FIP (tune to 91FM to receive this music station in Brighton).
- Europe 1 is the leading independent radio station.
- Radio Caraïbes International serves Martinique and Guadeloupe.
- Sud Quotidien is one of Senegal's main daily papers.
- Le Soleil de Québec from Canada.
- Volcans, a French journal on the Caribbean and Central America.
- Presse francophone - a listing from ClicNet.
- Oxford Dictionaries - the University Library subscribes to the full, unabridged bilingual Oxford dictionaries in Chinese, French, German, Italian and Spanish.
- Orthonet from the Conseil international de la langue française.
Dictionnaire multifonctions from TV5.
Dictionnaire des synonymes from Université de Caen.
Lexique du féminin from Laboratoire ATLIF (Analyse et Traitement Informatique de la Langue Française).
Le trésor de la langue française informatisé also from ATLIF.
Base de données CRITER from the Ministère de la Culture.
Les équivalents français from le Conseil supérieur de l'audiovisuel
- Polar FLE - murder mystery where you play the role of the Inspector Roger Duflair's assistant; choose your level (beginners to advanced) and practice listening comprehension, grammar and vocabulary in context. Includes worksheets and online activities for classroom use.
- RealFrench.net is a collection of free resources from Manchester Metropolitan University, including internet worksheets aimed at enabling students to visit and learn from French websites. There are also extensive intermediate and advanced grammar sections with exercises, vocabulary games, messageboards, a verb conjugator, and well-chosen links pages.
- BBC French - a large range of quality resources from French Steps, a self-contained online course for beginners, through to Le Mensuel, an intermediate audio magazine, plus transcripts and bonus material for their TV and radio courses, and much more.
- Zut! provides interactive activities for French teachers and learners, featuring hundreds of exercises, some of which have audio samples of native speakers. It's all organised by year of study and includes reading, writing and listening exercises. Charged in UK school hours.
- FrenchAssistant.com aims to help you learn French online for free through lessons and a random question generator.
- French Lessons by Jacques Léon, intended to allow you to understand written French. Includes audio pronunciation.
- Cours de phonétique (Université de Lausanne).
- WordPROF teaches and tests vocabulary at a variety of levels, including interactive scenes with audio.
- France à la Carte - includes a guide to , and Tandem, a bilingual magazine, as well as links to other relevant sites. From the French Embassy in London.
- Association for French Language Studies - UK organisation promoting French language teaching and research into French linguistics in Higher Education.
- Le français dans le monde - revue de la fédération internationale des professeurs de français
- Franc-parler.org is a worldwide community for French teachers. Also, the American Association of Teachers of French have produced a useful site on Teaching French with Technology.
- Survival French - one man's account of the resources he found invaluable for survival in Neuchâtel.
Sources for further research...
- Translation Blog - bilingual reflections on words, expressions and the difficulties encountered on the bridge from the English to the French language, from a Brighton-based translator.
- About.com Guide to French Language - original articles, lessons, exercises and lots of links, plus discussion forum and chat room.
- ARTFL Project (Project for American and French Research on the Treasury of the French Language) - includes a corpus of around 2000 French texts for research (access restricted to some parts), a French/English dictionary, thesaurus, and a verb conjugator.
- Pages Jaunes - online yellow pages/residential phonebook from France Télécom
- Tennessee Bob's Famous French Links