- All work with radiation is to be performed according to the University of Sussex code of Practice SSC-48-1,
and the worker requires a radiation licence.
- All new staff must consult the Radiation Protection Supervisor
(RPS) before commencing work with radioisotopes.
- All orders for isotopes must be notified to the RPS, and an "Application to Order Radionuclides" form completed.
- All isotopes received must be entered in the yellow logbooks.
- The approval of the RPS should be obtained before embarking on any new project
involving isotopes (if in doubt, consult the Laboratory Head or RPS directly).
- All radioactive waste returned to Biology Stores must be clearly labelled,
indicating contents, signature, amount and date of return.
- Laboratory coats and disposable gloves should be worn when using isotopes.
- Disposal of isotopes - regulations available from RPS