The Centre for Colonial and Postcolonial Studies reflects significant interdisciplinary and cross-school interest in the histories and cultures of colonialism, and in postcolonial studies.
The Centre's remit includes:
- acting as the forum for a seminar series and for more informal discussions of work in progress among its members
- supporting existing and potential MA programmes
- providing an intellectual 'home' for research students in both Arts and Humanities schools
- hosting occasional international conferences and symposia
- raising the profile of research at Sussex outside of the university
- capitalising on Sussex's historic and existing strengths in postcolonial studies, area studies, and imperialism/colonialism.
At the core of these activities is a series of informal discussions of work in progress by the centre's members. Anyone interested is welcome to attend, register as an affiliate of the centre and join in an open consultation about its activities.