The Sussex Centre for Cultural Studies (SCCS) is pleased to announce the first Trans Studies Now conference, in conjunction with the Brighton and Sussex Sexualities Network (BSSN), to be held at the University of Sussex campus in Falmer, Brighton, on 12th June 2015 from 9am-5pm. We welcome proposals for individual papers, collaborative papers, performance or other presentations on the theme of transgender studies.
Confirmed guest speakers:
Katherine Johnson – Author of Sexuality: A Psychosocial Manifesto (Polity, 2015) and Assistant Head of Psychology & Psychotherapy at Brighton University.
Roz Kaveney - Poet, novelist, activist, cultural commentator. Her latest book is Tiny Pieces of Skull (Team Angelica, 2015).
Lewis Hancox - Filmmaker, comedy writer, and transgender advocate. His work has featured on BBC3, Latest TV, The Guardian, and more. Lewis is an ambassador for All About Trans and patron for the National Diversity Awards.
The call for papers is open to postgraduates, researchers at any stage of their career, and community researchers regardless of gender. People from all academic disciplines are welcome to submit as long as the paper is relevant to transgender studies. Attendance is open to all. There will be a limited number of travel bursaries available for trans participants.
Suggested themes/topics for papers include but are not limited to:
- Intersections of class, race, sexuality, ethnicity, religion, disability and other intersections with trans
- Theories found in trans studies, queer theory, gender studies, and feminism
- Activism, social change, oppressions, political discourse
- Sexual health
- Sexual violence
- International perspectives of transgender people/trans studies
- Art, literature, film, and media representations of trans lives
- Trans digital cultures
- Debates and controversies surrounding the transgender body
- Transgender parenting, pregnancy, and families
- Binarism and non-binary identities
- Law, Education, Housing, Employment
- Mental health and Trans identity
Proposals on other topics very welcome.
Please send an abstract of 250 words, a short bio, your name and department or organisation, and an indication of the format of your proposal, including whether equipment will be needed.
The deadline for proposals is: 15th May 2015
Please send proposals and enquiries via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Conference Fee: university faculty £85; waged £40; unwaged/student £15. The conference fee includes lunch and refreshments.
Trans Studies Now conference directors are Jackson Jesse Nash and Professor Sally R Munt. The Trans Studies Now team includes Lel Meleyal, Edward Whelan and Stephanie Davies.