Dr Michael Kearney
|Post:||Lecturer in Law (Law)|
|Location:||Friston Building Fr-248|
|International:||+44 1273 678580|
|download vCarddownload vCard to your mobile|
- PhD Irish Centre for Human Rights NUI, Galway 2006
- LLM international human rights law, Irish Centre for Human Rights NUI, Galway 2002
- BCL University College Cork 2001
- 2012 Lecturer in Law, University of Sussex
- 2010-12 Fellow in Law, London School of Economics
- 2009-10 Legal Researcher, Al-Haq
- 2006-09 RCUK fellow in Law & Human Rights, University of York
Michael’s research interests are broadly in the area of public international law, particularly international humanitarian law, international criminal law, and human rights. Of particular interest is the role and impact of international law on the question of Palestine as well as issues related to crimes of incitement, propaganda for war, and freedom of expression.
Supervision Interests: I am keen to supervise doctorate students who intend to focus on the following areas: human rights & self-determination; any aspect of international criminal law, international humanitarian law, or human rights law.
- Beyond Occupation: Apartheid, Colonialism & International Law in the Occupied Palestinian Territories (Co-author, Pluto Press 2012)
- Propaganda in the Jurisprudence of the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia in Dojcinovic (ed) Propaganda, War Crimes Trials and International Law: From Speakers' Corner to War Crimes (Routledge, 2012) http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=1505305
- Palestine & the Politics of International Criminal Justice (with John Reynolds) in Schabas (ed) Ashgate Research Companion to International Criminal Law: Critical Perspectives (Ashgate, 2012) http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=1505305
- Propaganda for War, Prohibition in Wolfrum (ed) Max Planck Encyclopaedia of Public International Law (Oxford University Press, 2012)
- Why Statehood Now: A Reflection on the ICC’s Impact on Palestine’s Engagement with International Law in Meloni & Tognoni (eds) Is There a Court for Gaza? A Test Bench for International Justice (TMC Asser Press, 2012) http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=1505305
- Palestine & the International Criminal Court in Kot (ed) Palestine and International Law: New Approaches (UNDP/ Birzeit University Press, 2011)
- Review Essay: The 'War on Terror': Law and the Defence of the State 26 Intelligence and National Security 2-3 (2011)
- Palestine and the International Criminal Court: Asking the Right Question 1 UCLA Human Rights and International Criminal Law Online Forum (2010). http://uclalawforum.com/gaza
- Lawfare, Legitimacy & Resistance: The Weak and the Law XVI Palestine Yearbook of International Law (2010) 79-130. Available at: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2153837
- The Trial of Kerem Çakan: The Turkish Judiciary and Honour Killings: Trial Observation Report (London: Kurdish Human Rights Project, 2010, 44pp). http://www.khrp.org/khrp-news/human-rights-documents/2010-publications.html
- ‘Al-Haq Position Paper on Issues Arising from the Palestinian Authority’s Submission of a Declaration to the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court under Article 12(3) of the Rome Statute’ December 2009 (with Stijn Denayer): http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1523722
- Occupation, Colonialism, Apartheid: A Re-assessment of Israel’s Practices in the Occupied Palestinian Territories under International Law (Co-author: Human Sciences Research Council of South Africa: 2009, 294 pp) E-copy at: http://www.alhaq.org/attachments/article/236/Occupation_Colonialism_Apartheid-FullStudy.pdf
- The Violence of Construction: International Law and Israel’s Annexation Wall in Monacella & Ware (eds) Fluctuating Borders: Memory and the Emergent: New Possibilities for International Borders (RMIT, Melbourne, 2008)
- The Prohibition of Propaganda for War in International Law (Oxford University Press, 2007). Awarded Francis Lieber Certificate of Merit by the American Society of International Law, 2008. http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199232451.do
- The Prohibition of Propaganda for War in the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights 23 Netherlands Quarterly of Human Rights 4 (2005) 551-570.
- The Violence of Construction: Israel’s Wall and International Law 2 Al-Mashriq: A Quarterly Journal of Middle East Studies 8 (2004).
- The Extraterritorial Jurisdiction of the European Convention on Human Rights 5 Trinity College Law Review (2002) 158.
Humanitarian Crises and International Law: The Responsibility to Protect and Prosecute University of Leeds 23 November 2012
International Law & Occupied Territory University of Sussex Friends of Palestine, 14 November 2012
Children in Chains Seminar Scottish Friends of Palestine / Educational Institute of Scotland, Edinburgh 11 November 2012
Is there a Court for Gaza? Lawyers for Palestinian Human Rights Seminar, Amnesty International London, June 2012
Systems of Segregation Lawyers for Palestinian Human Rights Seminar, Garden Court Chambers, London, March 2012
International Law & the Status Quo Kings College Law Society, February 2012
Statehood and the International Criminal Court Talking Statehood Seminar, LSE SU, November 2011
Propaganda & Joint Criminal Enterprise at the ICTY IHL Dialogue Series, LSE November 2011
The Role of International Criminal Law in Post-Conflict Sri Lanka Association of Sri Lankan Lawyers in the UK, London, October 2011
The Palestinian Bundle: Statehood & Recognition International Law Association Spring Conference, Sheffield UK, April 2011
The Role of Poverty in Uprisings LSE Amnesty International SU, April 2011
Lawfare & Palestine School of Advanced Studies Seminar Series in Human Rights & Law, London January 2011
From picture to frame: Law as a Substitute for Ideology On the Front Line of Accountability: War Reporting and Related Contemporary Issues in International Humanitarian and Criminal Law, TMC Asser Institute, The Hague, January 2011
Reflections on Human Rights Activism Centre for Applied Human Rights, University of York, 2010
The Case for Palestinian Jurisdiction Office of the Prosecutor Roundtable, The International Criminal Court at The Hague, October 2010
Palestine and the Politics of the ICC Supranational Criminal Law Lecture Series, TMC Asser Institute, The Hague 2010
Palestine and the International Criminal Court Palestine and International Law: New Approaches, Birzeit University, Palestine, 2010
A Functional Interpretation of the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court UNDP & OHCHR Seminar, Ramallah, 2010
The International Humanitarian Law Paradigm in the OPT: Lawfare, Legitimacy & Resistance Tools for Justice: Applying Human Rights & IHL to the Israeli Occupation of the Palestinian Territory, ICAHD, Bethlehem, 2010
The Prohibition of Apartheid in International Law Al Quds University, Jerusalem 2010
Lawfare, Legitimacy & Resistance: The Significance of International Law for the Palestinian Struggle. Alternative Information Centre Seminar Series, Bethlehem, 2010
Contemporary International Law and the Prohibition of Apartheid. APY & ICAHD Conference on South Africa’s Apartheid Regime & Israeli Policies and Practices in the Palestinian Territory, Jerusalem, 2009
Locating the HSRC Apartheid Report in an Emergent Environment of ‘Lawfare’. Conference on Occupation, Colonialism, Apartheid?: A Re-assessment of Israel’s Practices in the OPT under International Law, Ramallah, 2009
International Criminal Law: Accountability for Grave Breaches of International Humanitarian Law. Kadir Has University, Istanbul, April 2009
Non-State Law: The Role of Non-State Actors in the Development of International Human Rights Law Annual Doctoral Seminar, Irish Centre for Human Rights, NUI, Galway, May 2009
Reappraising the Lawfulness of Occupation under International Humanitarian Law. School of International Relations, Tehran, May 2008
An Overview of the Role of the UN’s Special Representative on Human Rights Defenders Socio-Legal Studies Conference, Manchester, March 2008
An Inchoate International Crime of Incitement to Aggression? Socio-Legal Studies Conference, University of Kent, April 2007
The Role of International Law in the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict A Cork 2005 European Capital of Culture Project, Cork, July 2005
The Prohibition of Propaganda for War in International Law Halifax Symposium on Media and Disinformation, Dalhousie University, Canada, July 2004
Human Rights Education Globalization and Inclusion Conference: Challenges for Professional Education in the Third Level Sector University College Cork, June 2004
- Public International Law LLB (M3045)
- International Crimes LLM (801M3)
- Approaches to International Criminal Law LLM (880M3)
- The Legal Regulation of Armed Conflict LLM (861M3)
- The Nature & Institutions of International Criminal Law LLM (881M3)
During the Autumn term my office hours (Friston 248) will be on Wednesdays from 1200-1300 and Thursdays 1400-1500.
Spring Term 2012/13
Wednesday 1330-1430 & Thursday 1400-1500
Kearney, Michael G and Reynolds, John (2013) Palestine and the politics of international criminal justice. In: The Ashgate research companion to international criminal law: critical perspectives. Ashgate, Farnham. ISBN 9781409419181 (In Press)
Kearney, Michael G (2013) 'Any other contribution': ascribing liability to cover-ups of international crimes. Criminal Law Forum. (In Press)
Kearney, Michael (2012) Review of Israeli practices relative to the prohibition of apartheid. In: Beyond occupation: apartheid, colonialism & international law in the occupied Palestinian territories. Pluto Press, London. ISBN 9780745332369
Kearney, Michael G (2012) Why statehood now: a reflection on the ICC's impact on Palestine's engagement with international law. In: Is there a court for Gaza? : a test bench for international justice. Distributed for T.M.C. Asser Press by Springer, pp. 391-408. ISBN 9789067048194
Kearney, Michael (2011) Propaganda in the jurisprudence of the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia. In: Propaganda, war crimes trials and international law: from speakers' corner to war crimes. Routledge, London, pp. 231-253. ISBN 9780415579599 (hbk.) 9780203180921 (ebook)
Kearney, Michael (2010) Palestine and the International Criminal Court: asking the right question. UCLA Human Rights and International Criminal Law Online Forum.
Kearney, Michael (2009) The trial of Kerem Çakan: the Turkish judiciary and honour killings: trial observation report. Project Report. Kurdish Human Rights Project and the Bar Human Rights Committee of England and Wales,, London.
Kearney, Michael G (2009) Occupation, colonialism, apartheid? A re-assessment of Israel's practices in the occupied Palestinian territories under international law. Project Report. Human Sciences Research Council, Cape Town.
Kearney, Michael G and Denayer, Stijn (2009) Al-Haq position paper on issues arising from the Palestinian authority's submission of a declaration to the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court under Article 12(3) of the Rome Statute. Al-Haq Position Paper on Issues Arising from the Palestinian Authority's Submission of a Declaration to the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court under Article 12(3) of the Rome Statute.