Sussex Centre for Language Studies

Online Pre-sessional English: Frequently Asked Questions

For any other queries, please e-mail

Do I need a UK visa to study this course?

You do not need a visa for the online course. You will be studying from your home country.

Do I need a UKVI IELTS to apply?

You do not need a UKVI IELTS, but you must have an approved English Language Test - see our list of English Language test equivalences or the University's postgraduate English language requirements for details.

How will I be supported when I progress to my degree?

All of our Pre-sessional English students can receive ongoing support with their English skills when they begin their degree programmes.

Support is provided by our English Language for Academic Study (ELAS) team, whose aim is to ensure that all our Pre-sessional students are given opportunities to realise their full potential and enjoy their ongoing studies at Sussex. The University is mindful that, owing to the Covid-19 outbreak, some students will benefit from additional flexibility and support as they progress onwards in their studies at Sussex, and this will be provided as needed.