PowerMAN power management
PowerMAN is a program installed on all ITS managed workstations which is configured to shut down workstations after a defined period of inactivity.
Settings for write-up areas
- monitor enters power saving at 10 minutes inactivity
- at 30 minutes of inactivity the workstation is logged out
- at 60 minutes of inactivity at the login prompt a workstation enters sleep mode. A workstation can be woken from sleep mode with a key press or mouse click
Recommendation for write-up area users
It is recommended to logout once you've finished, so that other users can use the workstation. Do not turn the workstation off at the end of the day so a workstation can apply any outstanding updates in the daily maintenance window and allow a restart to apply them.
Settings for offices
While logged in:
- after 120 minutes of inactivity, the computer will enter hibernation. The screen saver is activated after 30 minutes of inactivity during this period.
- When in hibernation the workstation appears as if it is turned off, so to wake a workstation from hibernation you will need to press the power button. The startup will look like a standard startup, but will say “resuming windows”, instead of “starting windows”, it will then take around 1 minute to arrive at the login screen where a password will be required to resume the session.
- Briefly pressing the power button, while logged on, will send a workstation into hibernation.
While logged off:
- after 10 minutes at the login prompt a workstation will enter sleep mode. To wake the workstation moving the mouse or pressing the power button will suffice. It will take about 10 seconds to return to the login screen.
Recommendation for office users
It is recommended to logout once in a while at the end of the day, not shutdown, so a workstation can apply any outstanding updates in the daily maintenance window and allow a restart to apply them.
Daily PowerMan functionality
Programs that override logging off
PowerMAN has been cofigured not to log you off when the following programs are running:
- huygens essential.exe
Additional programs can be added to this list if required.