Academic Quality and Partnerships

Course Transfers

Guidance on Course Transfers for Undergraduate Students (including Foundation students)

This page provides guidance on the course transfer process. The guidance contains important information about the criteria for considering applications and the implications of transferring, so please read this page carefully.

Please note that the following information relates to course transfers for undergraduate students (including Foundation) only.  For information on transfers for postgraduate students, please see Internal transfer policy for postgraduate students [DOCX 34.64KB]

Please note that the application to transfer form is only for students who wish to change their whole degree course, effective in the current academic year.  If you wish to remain on your existing course but add or remove a placement or study abroad year, please contact your School Office. If you wish to change a module within your course, please contact your School Office. 

If you wish to transfer back to the beginning of a new course (i.e. to year 1 or year 0), please contact  Transfers back to year 2 or 3 can be requested via the online form, but please contact for advice on fees and visas.

Guidance on processing transfers for Admissions Tutors and Professional Services Staff can be found here on the School webpages.

How can I apply to transfer?

Please complete the transfer application form via the link on your School webpage.  Please note that you must apply via the webpages of the school that owns the course to which you wish to transfer.  If you are not sure which school owns the course you wish to apply to, please ask your current School Office.

In the section ‘reason for transfer’, write a personal statement regarding why you want to transfer to your chosen degree course and explain why it may suit you better than your current course. This will be shared with members of staff who process transfer applications.

Please note that you have not transferred until the school confirms that your transfer is complete – in the meantime you must continue attending classes on your current course in case your transfer request is declined.

When can I request a transfer?

Course transfers are usually effective from the beginning of Semester 1, or more exceptionally from the beginning of Semester 2 (please note that transfers to a different Foundation course or into stage 1 of a degree course effective from Semester 2 are only possible in limited circumstances – please contact your School Office for further information).  Transfers for Semester 1 can be applied for from 1st August.  Transfers for Semester 2 can be requested from the last day of the Semester 1 teaching period. 

The deadline to apply for a course transfer is the Friday of the second week of teaching in each semester. 

Please note that it will not be possible to transfer within the same semester after these deadlines. If you do not wish to continue on your current course and have either missed the transfer window or know you want to restart the stage/start from an earlier stage on a different course, you may be able to temporarily withdraw and return the following academic year to restart the stage/semester on a new course.  If you are considering doing this, please seek advice from your Academic Advisor and the Student Life Centre.  If you decide that this is what you want to do, please contact to apply for a transfer back to year 1/0, or your School Office if you wish to transfer back to year 2 or 3. 

How will my transfer application be considered?

The Admissions Tutor(s) for your requested course will review your entry qualifications and your academic record so far at Sussex.  They may approve your application based on this information and your form alone, or they may ask to meet with you to discuss the transfer. 

You must meet the entry requirements of the new course and your transfer application may be declined on academic grounds.  Your transfer may also be declined if the course you have requested is full. Transfers requested for Semester 2 may be declined where the structure of either your current or the new course would not enable you to complete 120 credits in the stage (i.e. where the course structure includes year-long modules).

If the course you have applied to transfer to has any additional entry requirements (e.g. a criminal convictions disclosure or health check), you will be contacted with further information on what is required.

What happens next?

You will recieve an email to let you know whether your transfer application has been accepted or declined.

If your transfer has been accepted, you may then be asked to choose option/elective modules. Please note that spaces on option/elective modules may be limited and some modules may not be available. You will be assigned a new Academic Advisor within your new subject area and your course title and teaching and assessment timetables will be updated. Once you have received your new timetable, you should start attending moduels for your new course. If you are in receipt of funding from Student Finance we will inform them that you have transferred course. You should ensure you can receive funding for the duration of the new course before requesting a transfer. 

If your transfer request is decline and you require further advice about your studies, you should speak to either your Academic Advisor or the Director of Student Experience in your school. You cannot appeal against a decision to decline an application to transfer course, as decision are based on academic judgement. 

Important information for ALL students considering a transfer:
  • Students on an undergraduate degree may apply to transfer into the same stage of a different degree, or to transfer back to an earlier stage. 
  • You will need to gain 120 credits for each stage of your course to be awarded a degree. If you wish to transfer without restarting your current stage/semester on your new course, you will need to complete all assessments for your current stage/semester to gain the credits required.  If you were due to take any trailed assessments from a previous stage, you will still need to take these unless you are restarting the stage to which they originally belonged. 
  • Students on a Foundation course may apply to transfer onto a different Foundation course, or they may apply to transfer onto a degree course for which they meet the entry requirements.  If you transfer onto a degree course for which you have met the entry requirements, you do not need to complete your Foundation course, but may do so if you wish to. 
  • If you transfer back to an earlier stage you will be asked to sign a Learning Agreement (please see Academic Quality and Partnerships. University regulations normally allow a maximum of two years to complete a stage of study (for fulltime students), including where you have transferred course.  The purpose of the Learning Agreement is to monitor and encourage engagement with your new course.
  • Transfers back to an earlier stage of study may have implications for fees and funding.  For further information, please contact  Please note that as a returning student you will not be entitled to university housing and will have to make your own arrangements for accommodation.
  • If you transfer back to an earlier stage of study any marks and credits achieved will not be retained for progression and award purposes.
  • Once you are on a degree-level course (i.e. not a Foundation Year) a maximum period of registration applies.  For an undergraduate course, this is usually the standard length of your course plus three years.
Important information for Student Route/Tier 4 visa students only:
  • If you are studying at the University on a Student Route/Tier 4 student visa, any transfer will be reported to UK Visas and Immigration. Information on how transfers can impact your visa (including the time limit on studying with a Student Visa) can be found here
  • If you are applying to transfer back to an earlier stage of study, or to restart your current stage on a new course, you will need to apply for a new visa before starting the new course. This is because you are changing course and you cannot complete your new course within the same time as your old one. You will need to apply from your home country, so please make sure you do this in plenty of time, so that you can arrive in time for teaching for the new academic year.  If you are adding a placement year or year abroad to your course, contact an International Advisor for the different options on applying for a visa extension to cover your final year.
  • If you are changing schools or if the new course is not connected to your previous course, both you and your school will need to provide us with a justification for the transfer for UKVI purposes.
  • Once your transfer has been approved and providing that you have enough time to apply for your new visa, the University will consider issuing you with a new CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies).
Important information for overseas fee-paying students only:

You should note that if you transfer to a degree course in a higher fee band your fees will rise when you begin that course.  If your fees are paid by a sponsor, please check with them directly whether the transfer will affect your sponsorship.