Student Support Unit

Specific Learning Difficulties

Students with Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Dysgraphia, Dyscalculia and AD(H)D

The Student Support Unit (SSU) offers a confidential service to prospective and registered students who either have or suspect they have a Specific Learning Difficulty (SpLD); this includes DyslexiaDyspraxia, Dysgraphia, Dyscalculia and AD(H)D.

There are three Dyslexia Advisors who advise students with a range of Specific Learning Difficulties; information is only shared with the student's written consent. All students who register at SSU with a SpLD will be allocated to one of the Dyslexia Advisors.

How can I get help if I know I have a Specific Learning Difficulty? 

  • If you declared that you have a SpLD when you applied to the University, you will receive an email about registration.  All students with a SpLD should register at the Student Support Unit.
  • You will meet with a dyslexia advisor.  If you have a post-16 Educational Psychologist’s report, or specialist teacher’s report, the dyslexia advisor can arrange support (reasonable adjustments), including exam arrangements, at the University. If you don’t have a current report you will receive advice on how to arrange an assessment.
  • You will also be advised about funding for UK students (Disabled Students’ Allowance) and funding for International students. 
  • The Dyslexia Advisor can also provide information about study support and other support services available at the University. 

What should I do if I think I might have a Specific Learning Difficulty and I am struggling with aspects of my studies? 

  • You should contact the Student Support Unit to make an appointment with a Dyslexia Advisor.  The Advisor will discuss the difficulties that you are having and carry out an informal screening. 
  • We can arrange for you to have an Educational Psychologist’s assessment (EP assessment) and advise on the cost for this assessment. 
  • Once you have been assessed, your Dyslexia Advisor will go through the report with you, discuss the support recommended in the report, arrange any required reasonable adjustments and advise on funding for additional support including specialist one-to-one support with a Learning Support Tutor.  
  • The dyslexia advisor can also provide information about study support and other support services available at the University.

Drop In Registration Dates for 2017-18 Academic Year

  • Thurs 21st September 10-12 and 1-3
  • Friday  22nd  10-12 and 1-3
  • Monday  25th  10-12 and 1-3
  • Tuesday  26th  10-12 and 1-3
  • Wednesday  27th   10-12 and 1-3
These will take place in the Student Support Unit reception area. Students should bring any documentation they have with them.


Student Support Unit
Ground Floor
Bramber House
Refectory Road
T 01273 877466

Reception Opening Times: 
9am - 4pm Monday to Thursday
9am - 4pm Friday