Careers and Entrepreneurship

Wages, tax and National Insurance numbers

If you do paid work as a student, employers must pay you a legal wage and you will need to pay income tax and National Insurance

The National Minimum Wage and the National Living Wage

The Government sets the National Minimum Wage and National Living Wage which employers must pay you.

Some organisations may opt to pay you the higher Real Living Wage.

Income tax and National Insurance

If you do paid work you will have to pay tax and national insurance contributions.

Most students are likely to earn less than their personal tax allowance, so you may need to claim a tax refund if you have overpaid.

Try this useful UK tax and salary calculator to work out your net salary and how much tax and NI you should pay based on your income.

Applying for a National Insurance number

You can now apply online if you require a National Insurance (NI) number. If you are an international student, you will need one in order to work in the UK. 

You may need to send documents or attend an appointment to prove your identity.

International students 

If you believe you have overpaid tax, you can make a claim by completing a P85 before you leave the UK.

University of Sussex student staff

If you are employed by the University of Sussex, you can make enquiries about your wages via Payroll Office in Sussex House.

If you are working for the Students’ Union, the USSU finance office is on the top floor of Falmer House.