School of Media, Arts and Humanities - for students and staff


Please use the back button in your browser to return to the following pages. Do not use any internal 'back to previous menu' links as you will be redirected elsewhere.

Getting started


Your line manager will give you an induction checklist when you arrive. The checklist sets out a number of tasks to complete and processes to familiarise yourself with as you start your new job here at Sussex.

Finding the School

The School of Media, Arts and Humanities is based in Arts A, Arts B and the Silverstone Building. Our full address is:

School of Media, Arts and Humanities
Arts A
University of Sussex

The School office, located in Arts A7, is available for general student, staff, and visitor enquiries and student support issues. Opening times are Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm, except Bank Holidays and formal university closure days. You can contact the School office by phone or email as shown below:

01273 678001

map and directions to our campus are available on the University website.


The University operates a parking permit/pass scheme and if you intend to drive to the University you will need to apply for a permit/pass to park via Sussex Direct. Staff are able to choose their method of payment – the cost of parking using a permit is deducted monthly from salaries and a pass enables you to pay on a daily basis at a reduced rate. Scratch cards are obtainable in books of 10 from various outlets across campus. Further information can be found on the University website.

Public transport

Cycle to Work scheme

The University runs a Cycle to Work scheme allowing staff to buy new bicycles and safety equipment with savings of up to 42%. Cycle to Work allows you to obtain a bike and/or cycling accessories to use for riding to work while making tax and National Insurance savings from your gross pay. You choose your combination of bike and accessories and then rent the equipment through salary sacrifice from the University.


The 23, 25, 25X, 28 and 29 buses run between the centre of Brighton and campus:

  • The 23 runs to/from Brighton Marina in the east, via Kemptown and Hanover.
  • The 25/25X runs to/from Palmeira Square in Hove, via Churchill Square, the Old Steine and Lewes Road.
  • The 28 and 29 run from Churchill Square, via the Old Steine and Lewes Road and continue on to Lewes, Ringmer and Uckfield/Tunbridge Wells after stopping outside the University campus.

Travel time between the campus and Brighton is about 20 minutes, depending on traffic. 


The University is served by Falmer railway station on the south side of campus. Direct trains run from Brighton, Lewes, Seaford, Eastbourne and Hastings. Connecting trains to London, Gatwick Airport, Hove, Shoreham and Worthing run from Brighton. Journey times between Falmer and Brighton are typically 10 minutes.

Human Resources registration

You must register with Human Resources at Sussex House between 9am and 10am on your first day at work, bringing with you all the required documents specified in your appointment letter. If you are unable to do so, please let our HR contact Nicole Burmester know:

01273 873790 (ext. 3790)

Identity/Library card

All new staff will be issued with a photo ID card, which will enable you to gain access to controlled areas of the Jubilee Building as well as the University Library and Sports Centre. It will also enable you to receive a discount at the University bookshop. Before you can receive your card, you must first visit the Print Unit under York House to have your photograph taken, taking with you your letter of appointment and some personal ID.

Please note that the ID card service opening hours are 9.30am-12.30pm and 2.30pm-4.30pm Monday to Friday. Normal University closure days apply.

IT Services registration

Every staff member requires an IT Services (ITS) account in order to access the University network and use online tools and resources, including your email, Outlook calendar and Sussex Direct. To get your login details and set up your account, you will need to visit the Service Desk in Shawcross. You will need to take your University ID or letter of appointment as proof of identity.

Facilities and Resources
Office accommodation

Every member of staff will be allocated an office before arrival. Most offices are single occupancy; however, there are some larger offices shared by two or more people. Please ensure you lock your office when leaving it, even if only for a short time. If you forget to bring your key to work, the front desk team in the School office or the porters in Jubilee 202 will be able to unlock your office with a master key.

Offices are cleaned every two weeks and office bins will be emptied every two weeks. We encourage recycling of paper, cardboard, envelopes, glass etc and items should be placed in the appropriate bins provided around the buildings. Shredding boxes for confidential waste are also located within the buildings and these are emptied regularly. Each area also has a communal waste bin (landfill bin) for waste that cannot be recycled.

Telephone and voicemail

Telephone extensions are requested by the School and installed by the Telephone Engineer. Telephones are assigned a variety of dialling access levels, i.e. internal, local, national and international. Callers who wish to make calls other than at their permitted level will require approval from their line manager or the School Administrator (Operations). An exception will be made for calls that need to be made in an emergency.

Voicemail is automatically installed on the system. You can access the system by using a default security code 4444. You will then be able to change the security code and personalise the voicemail messages etc. Instructions on use are provided by the Telephone Exchange.

The University recognises that it may occasionally be necessary for members of staff to make personal calls using the University's telephone system in an emergency, and is acceptable provided that it is no more than occasional use and that long-distance, mobile or international calls are not involved. Members of staff should be aware that the University monitors the use of telephones, and anyone who is believed to be abusing the system will be investigated and disciplinary action taken where there is evidence of abuse.

For more information, see the Telephone FAQs.

IT equipment and software

Unless otherwise stated in your offer letter, your room will include a standard Windows desktop PC and monitor (including operating system, Microsoft Office, virus checker, firewall plus additional software), as detailed below:



Dell OptiPlex 5040 SFF

i5-6500, 8GB memory, 500GB hard disk


Dell 23" Monitor

If you need additional IT equipment or software, you will need to make a full request and this must be approved by the Head of Department and School Administrator (Operations). Please refer to the lists of specialist and additional equipment as well as the software list when submitting your request.

IT equipment and support is provided by ITS, which also provides useful information and a selection of short videos to help you get started on its website, as well as regular training courses. To get support with any IT issues or report faults, you can contact ITS by emailing, calling 8090 or visiting the Service Desk on the ground floor in Shawcross.

Please note that it is a University requirement that all work is saved to either your N drive (i.e. the ‘Documents’ folder) or the School’s G drive (i.e. our shared ‘MAH’ folders) to ensure work is stored and backed up securely. Local drives do not meet this requirement.

Calendar and key dates

It is important to use your Outlook calendar to record meetings and appointments as this will be used to check your availability for meetings. Instructions on how to access the calendar can be found on the IT Services (ITS) site.

There is also a School calendar.

A full list of key dates, including term dates, assessment periods, graduation dates and minimum service days (i.e. days when most campus facilities are closed) is published on the main University site and you can also download key University dates and holidays to your calendar.

Sussex Direct

Sussex Direct is our online service that provides access to the essential information needed to work or study at Sussex. It is a critical part of student, module and course administration. Tutors are required to complete class attendance records week by week (these records are monitored by school staff), module evaluations, marks and termly tutorial reports. 

All staff at the University are expected to use Sussex Direct and it is particularly important that teaching staff are familiar with the process for recording marks and attendance. To book a place on a Sussex Direct training course, log in to Sussex Direct, then click through the menus as follows: Personal > Staff Development > Staff Development Course Listings and Booking Facility > Information Technology > Sussex Direct

Technology Enhanced Learning

The Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL) team provides proactive guidance, training and support to staff on the effective and innovative use of technology to enhance teaching, learning, assessment and the quality of the student experience.

Printing, copying, scanning

There are several multi-functional devices (MFDs) in Arts A (xxx), Arts B (B133, B136, corridor opposite room B235, corridor opposite room B335 and in the Social Space B274) and Silverstone (Social Space, Resource Centre SB302 and SB230). These can be used for printing, photocopying and scanning. Instructions on using the MFDs are available on the ITS site.

Please note that the above office equipment is for staff use only and not for the use of students, who have separate facilities.

Large or complicated print jobs should be sent to the Print Unit in York House.

Pigeonholes / Post


Pigeonholes for staff are located in Arts B144 and Silverstone 230. Any large packages that do not fit into the pigeonholes are left next to the pigeonhole unit.

Our postal address is:

School of Media, Arts and Humanities 
Arts A
University of Sussex 


The last collection for external post for same day posting is 2pm. Outgoing post should be placed in either the ‘external’ or ‘internal’ mail trays in the School office. Where possible, internal mail envelopes should be recycled. Mail for the University of Brighton can also be put in the internal post. Any outgoing mail should be marked in the top left hand corner of the envelope with the budget code provided to you by the School Administrator or Course Co-ordinator.

The front desk team in the School office should be contacted about any mail that requires special delivery instructions or courier service. You need to mark the envelope with special delivery instructions on the top right hand corner of the envelope (e.g. for recorded delivery). The package should be marked with the relevant delivery request and then be left with the porters.

If you are planning a large mail-shot, please give the School office staff at least two weeks’ notice before the planned date of receipt. This will ensure sufficient time for ordering stationery, printing, collation and preparing for posting.


Stationery (including headed paper and branded compliments slips) can be requested and collected from the School office. Requests for items that are not kept in stock should be made to the School office. Copies of suppliers’ catalogues are available. Requests for non-standard items will require the approval of the School Administrator (Operations).

Business cards

To order business cards from the Print Unit, you will need to complete an online stationery order form. When you have submitted your order, the Print Unit will send you a confirmation of the cost and an enquiry reference number so that you can request a purchase order from the School office. The Print Unit will also send you a proof via email attachment for checking before they print your cards. The turnaround from order to receipt of the cards is usually five working days.

Food and drink

Sussex Food offers 8 different outlets where you can enjoy a range of different cuisines, hot meals or freshly prepared sandwiches, snacks and drinks.

The nearest cafes to the MAH buildings are Dhaba and Arts Piazza. Find out about the other cafés around campus if you like variety!

Catering and hospitality for meetings and events can be arranged through Sussex Food. Menus and an order form are accessed by signing in to Sussex Food Hospitality, using your Sussex login and password.

Meeting rooms

Bookable rooms are available within the MAH buildings, managed by the Reception team in the School office. To book one of these rooms, please contact Reception at or by calling 01273 678001 with the details of your booking (date, time, duration, number of people, reason) and the team will advise you on availability and booking catering and IT support for your meeting.

Please note that teaching spaces are booked via the online room booking system

Building issues

The procedure for reporting any building issues raised by staff (and students) is as follows: 

i)       Please report any building issues (for example, water leaks, windows and doors jamming open or shut, broken furniture, cleaning etc) to the team on the front reception desk.

ii)      The reception team will deal with any issues that they are able to and refer other issues to the School Administrator (Operations) Carmen Long

iii)     Carmen will liaise with the Building Manager on any issues that require support from Sussex Estates and Facilities (SEF), including those where interim measures may be required before complete repairs can be undertaken.

iv)     Carmen will then follow-up with SEF on progress and will feed back to staff as necessary.

Lost property

Lost property may be handed in and collected at the Security office in York House, which is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Small items are also often left at the School office reception desk.

Personal belongings are not insured on University premises so please ensure your home insurance covers any valuables. If you travel abroad on University-related business, please complete an insurance form and submit at least 10 working days before your trip.

People, procedures and policies
Staff directory and web profiles

School staff lists can be found on our internal website for the School Management Team, Faculty with School-wide roles, Professional Services and departmental faculty. These lists include names, roles and links to individual web profile pages.

All staff are encouraged to set up and build a web profile. Your profile page is automatically created from details you supply to Human Resources, but you will need to keep your details updated via Sussex Direct as and when they change.

You can do this by logging in to Sussex Direct and selecting the Personal > Job tab, then editing and saving any amendments. Further guidance on updating your web profile.

Research staff may wish to follow this guide to creating web profiles published by the Doctoral School.

Professional Services

Please refer to the list of Professional Services functions by portfolio area on the School Administration page

Staff photography

The School organises regular staff photography sessions with the University photographer, allowing staff access to a professional head shot for their web profile, staff photo galleries and for personal use.

Photo shoots are organised by the School Communications team and usually take place once per term. All staff will be notified of photo shoots in advance.

School news and events

The School Communications team produce a fortnightly newsletter which includes recent news and opportunities. A weekly events bulletin is also circulated giving details of forthcoming events. Each of these is emailed directly to all staff and students. News from the School and wider University is also available on the internal website.

The School holds a number of events throughout the year to which all staff and students are welcome. Staff are encouraged to check the School’s events listings for other relevant events, which include several research seminar series running each week during term time.

Social media

All staff are encouraged to follow the School on its various social media channels:

All Research Centres will also have their own social media channels.

School and University meetings and committees

School meetings

School meetings take place once per term and serve to allow all of the School's academic and Professional Services staff, as well as Student Reps, to take part in discussion on issues of common interest.

Terms of Reference

To disseminate information, encourage discussion on issues of common interest and take soundings on proposed University policies. Senate has agreed that School meetings are an appropriate formal forum for discussing strategic and academic plans. Positions agreed or views presented at such meetings will not be binding on Heads of Schools and School Meetings will be advisory to Heads of Schools rather than formal committees of the University. However, Heads of Schools may decide to communicate the outcomes of School Meetings to Senate or other University committees.


Dean (Chair); all academic and Professional Services staff in the School; all School Student Representatives in the School; PA to the Dean (Secretary).

Notes of past meetings

Notes of past meetings are stored on Box. You can access the link via the School Administration page.


The Planning, Governance and Compliance (PGC) office coordinates a number of committees to ensure institutional business is handled efficiently and in accordance with the Statutes and Regulations of the University. A list of committeescommittee timetable and other information can be found on the PGC site, including the Organisation of the University, a document setting out the approved terms of reference, composition and reporting lines of University committees and officerships.

To find your committee memberships on Sussex Direct, choose My Groups from the Admin menu.

Staff absence, study leave, expenses and external activities

Staff absence

For faculty, applications for leave of absence in term-time must be made to the Head of Department. It is assumed that members of faculty will not be absent from teaching without getting approval from their Head of Department and making suitable arrangements with their colleagues and students. For leave of absence of a whole term (or more), applications should be made a year in advance.

In case of absence through sickness, teaching staff should inform the School office on 01273 678001 so that arrangements can be made to let students and colleagues know. Staff members unable to attend work should also inform their immediate line manager. For absences shorter than seven days, a self-certificate should be completed; for longer absences, a medical certificate is required. All certificates should be forwarded to the School Administrator.

For more information on sickness absence – including Return to Work forms and Sickness Absence Management Procedures – please see the Human Resources site

Study leave

There is a formal university study leave process that you need to follow if you want to apply for study leave. Before applying, faculty members are expected to discuss and negotiate any application with their peers, Subject Group Lead and the Head of Department. This will normally involve ensuring that teaching can be covered, often by taking on a little more in a preceding or following term.

Expenses and procurement

All financial transactions take place using the University’s online finance system. You may find it helpful to familiarise yourself with its key operations using the FAQs page. To apply for access to the Finance System, fully complete the New User Set-Up Form - Non Finance [DOCX 39.60KB] and email it to the Finance Service Desk at who will issue a password.

Staff members will be reimbursed for expenses incurred in the course of your duties through the finance system. You can also use the Unit 4 Expenses App to submit your out of pocket expense claims quicker and more efficiently

Regular third party suppliers of goods and services are required to be placed on the approved suppliers list, to be able to raise a purchase order and process invoices. Please see the front desk team in the School office for support with this and information about one-off purchases. Training guides for using the finance system are available on the Finance site

External activities

Outside activities associated with teaching faculty posts include external examining, book reviewing, advising on publications, writing articles, and giving broadcasts and lectures. Special permission is not required to undertake such activities as long as they are not substantial. Permission is required for other external activities. For details, see paragraph 18 of the Conditions of Service of Faculty.

Academic and pastoral support

Members of faculty will normally be appointed as an Academic Advisor to a group of students. Academic Advisors, along with the Student Experience Team, will often be the first port of call for students when they have queries or problems. Staff are not expected to act as counsellors or experts in all the workings of the University but it is important that you are aware of the range of student support services that the University offers so that students can be referred to the right place. If in doubt, the advisors in the Student Life Centre offer welfare support to students and can point you in the right direction if they cannot help.

  • Student support services information pack for Academic Advisors 
  • Terms of Reference for Academic Advisors 
Staff development


New staff will be invited to a central staff welcome session with the Vice Chancellor within six months of your start date. A checklist is provided to ensure all staff receive a complete induction.

General staff development

The University runs a wide variety of training courses to support your development. You can book onto most courses via Sussex Direct, but must obtain permission from your line manager first.

Annual appraisal

You will have an annual appraisal during the summer with your line manager or other appropriate person. The University website has further information about our appraisal policy, guidelines and training.

Health and Safety

Health and Safety Coordinators

The Health and Safety Coordinators report any accidents or incidents and can also provide advice and information on any health and safety matters, including first aid, fire wardens, display screen equipment (DSE) assessments etc.

Please contact :

Emergency procedure

For all emergencies (first aid, fire, spillages and emergency services), call the Emergency Hotline on extension 3333 or (01273) 873333 if using a mobile or external line. It is important that this number is used (do not dial 999) as the University’s Security team will meet emergency services at the entrance to campus and guide them directly to the relevant location. The Health, Safety and Wellbeing site offers further information about the University’s emergency procedures.

Display screen equipment

Display screen equipment (DSE) is a device or equipment that has an alphanumeric or graphic display screen. It includes both conventional display screens (e.g. desktop PC monitors) and those used in emerging technologies, such as laptops, touch screens and other similar devices.

If your computer workstation is not set up correctly, it could lead to adverse health effects, including aching limbs, back pain, fatigue and eye strain (see below). For further information and a DSE self-assessment tool, please refer to the University’s guidance on DSE and DSE policy.

Eyesight testing

Eye health is very important and if not managed can lead to both short and long term health conditions, including increased eye strain and headaches. All staff identified as DSE users will have access to a free bi-annual eye test. Please follow the guidelines set out by the Health, Safety and Wellbeing office to request an eye test.

Mental wellbeing, stress management and mindfulness

Mental health issues can be a major cause of occupational ill health and loss of productivity. Work-related stress and associated illnesses can result in sickness absence, reduced motivation and performance, and a possible increase in accidents due to human error.

The University has a stress management policy that seeks to address this issue and reduce potential causes and symptoms of mental health issues within the control of the institution. The policy also includes guidance on recognising, managing and preventing stress. If you’re affected by problems at work or at home, you are encouraged to discuss them with your line manager. Your manager will treat the matter in confidence whenever possible and can refer you to Occupational Health if needed. If you prefer not to talk to your manager, you may also contact Occupational Health directly at or extension 7255.

Other health, safety and wellbeing resources

Please see other resources on the School Administration page

Please also ensure you regularly check the Health and Safety notice boards located in each building.


Communications guidelines

In written materials, the first reference to the 'University of Sussex - School of Media Arts and Humanities' should always be written in full. It can then be shortened within the same document to ‘the School’ or 'Media, Arts and Humanities'.

The School name should never be shortened to ‘MAH School’ or 'School of MAH'.

It is permissible to use the acronym 'MAH' but please remember that acronyms can be meaningless to our key audiences so please consider your audience if you plan to use the acronym. If you do use the acronym please make sure you reference what it stands for before its first use eg School of Media, Arts and Humanities (MAH).

Read the University's guidelines on house style

Printed stationery and publications

Email signature, letterhead and PowerPoint templates are available. Business cards, letterheads and compliment slips are available for order from the Print Unit.

Update your email signature and use the letter and PowerPoint templates

Website changes

A new website (internal and external) for the School has been launched. School Communications staff are working with the University's Web Team on this and to update all references to the School across the University's sites.

The new URL for the School's web pages is Work is ongoing to move content from the previous School sites as processes are set up which enable us to function within the new combined School.

Email, IT systems and social media

Email accounts within the School are in place to reflect our identity and team working. These include:

New social media accounts have been set up. Please use the handle @SussexUniMAH to access our social media content from now on.

Any queries?

Please email the MAH Communications team at with any queries in the first instance.