Health and Wellbeing

Are you unwell or concerned about someone else?

Emergency help - on campus

If you need emergency help, call Security on 01273 87 3333 or dial 3333 from a bedroom phone. There are also emergency phones located around campus which put you straight through to Security. The Security Office is located in York House.

  • Security are first-aid trained
  • Security will call 999 for you and coordinate guiding emergency services (such as ambulance) to your address on campus
  • Security can contact on-call Residential Community Coordinator and/or Residential Support Manager on your behalf
  • If you would prefer to speak to a member of staff of a specific gender, please let Security know

Emergency help - off campus

First, please call Emergency Services directly on 999 and report the issue(s).

If you live in university managed accommodation - follow up by contacting Security on 01273 87 3333 so that they know that there is an emergency Off-Campus. Security is a 24/7 service who will be able to advise you over the phone and coordinate further response, however please note that this team cannot leave campus.

If you live in private accommodation - If you need additional support contact JAM, the out-of-hours call-back service, on (+44) (0)2089  383873. JAM will give guidance over-the phone and will also contact the Residential Community Coordinator (RCC) on duty who will return your call within the hour. The RCC will offer over-the-phone welfare support and advice, along with signposting for additional available support.

Alternatively you can make your own way to A&E (the Accident and Emergency department) at the Royal Sussex County Hospital

Non-emergency help

NHS 111

If you feel unwell and would like advice or help out of hours, including instant advice on your symptoms, call the NHS on their non-emergency number 111

Walk-in services

You can access non-emergency health care through walk-in services at times when you cannot get an appointment with your own GP, and sometimes outside of normal opening hours

Are you concerned about somebody else?

Things to look out for

  • Has the student harmed themselves?
  • Do you think they might be unwell because they have used drugs or alcohol?
  • Are they extremely unwell or unresponsive?
  • Do they have symptoms of meningitis? symptoms

If you answered yes to any of the questions above it is likely that additional help is needed.

Is there immediate danger? - see above

If there is no immediate danger - visit our wellbeing web pages to find out about the support available

Things to consider

Talk to them

If you are worried about a friend then try talking to them about your concerns, if you feel comfortable doing this. Try to be sensitive – they may welcome the chance to open up or they may not want to talk about it. 

Don't be embarassed

If you feel that someone's personal safety could be affected then you should seek immediate help. Don't be embarassed about wasting people's time; it is much better to seek help when it is not needed than to delay seeking help when it really is needed. You should also not be put off from seeking help if your friend asks you not to; if you think someone is in danger then you should seek help.

Support for yourself

It is important that you don't feel that you have to take responsibility for someone else's health and wellbeing by yourself. You can contact the Student Life Centre for help managing any difficult or upsetting experiences or feelings