Study Abroad for Sussex Students

Taking part in voluntary study abroad opportunities

Find out about how you can study abroad as an add-on to your undergraduate course.

Most undergraduate students can apply for an additional year spent studying abroad. You can visit this website to find out more about how to apply to study abroad.

If you're taking a three-year undergraduate degree at Sussex, you may be able to apply for a voluntary semester abroad. Contact the Sussex Abroad office to check if this is an option for you.

You can't go away in the first year or the third/final year of your degree.

Study abroad options

Study Abroad Year: Extend from a three-year to a four-year course

The modules taken at the university abroad are on addition to those taken at Sussex, and there is a degree of flexibility with the academic programme that students take whilst at the partner university. You will follow a full course load at the host university and you will bring your official transcript back to Sussex.

Study Abroad Semester

Incorporated within the three-year degree, this forms an integral part of your course. Students from the following subject areas cannot apply to study for a semester: Psychology, Life Sciences, Law, Engineering, Journalism, Media Practice, Physics, Informatics.

Please note that Politics students can only study abroad in Semester 2.

Study Abroad Year within an Integrated Masters Course

Incorporated within the four year MPhys/ MMath couse, students study abroad for a year. The modules you study while at a partner university do replace the modules you would have taken at Sussex during that same year.

You will follow a full course load at the host university and you will bring your official transcript back to Sussex. As a period of study abroad will contribute to your overall final award, all students wishing to take part will need to meet the minimum academic requirements.

Foreign language skills

You do not need to speak another language to voluntarily study abroad. We have links in English-speaking countries, such as North America and Australia, but also many of our Asian and European links teach in English.

However, if your foreign language skills are far enough advanced, you may be able to go to a university usually reserved for one of our Language degree students. You would need to do a language exam after applying.

If you choose to do this, no allowance can be made for any low marks resulting from this.

Marks from modules studied abroad

You need to pass modules you take while you're abroad. Marks may count towards your overall degree classification.