Latest student news
Bursaries support future sporting stars
Two students who represent their country in women's hockey are among six who were yesterday (Monday 7 November) presented with University of Sussex sports bursaries for the 2011-12 academic year.
Roseanne Thomas, a Biomedical Sciences student, represents Wales; and Sabina Mangwana, a Law student, is in the Zimbabwe team.
Roseanne and Geography student Alistair Monteath are receiving the bursary for the second year running.
Sabina, Chloe Sutherland, Nicolla Weekes and Callum Smith are all receiving the bursary for the first time.
The bursaries are offered to Sussex sports men and women who are of an international or national standard and are supported by the University's former students through the Sussex Fund, managed by the Development and Alumni Relations Office.
The support package - provided by the University's sports service (Sussexsport) and the Students' Union - includes:
- Free use of the University's sports facilities
- Fitness testing and programming
- Physiotherapy/sports massage
- A parking permit
- A financial package
- Regular monitoring sessions
- Some academic flexibility
The students received their bursary awards from the Vice-Chancellor, Professor Michael Farthing, during an awards evening in Bramber House.
Sabina Mangwana (Law)
Sabina is a member of the Zimbabwe women's team. She competed in the 2011 All-Africa Games, which doubled up as qualifiers for the 2012 Olympics. She is also a member of Lewes hockey club, who play at National League level.
Alistair Monteath (Geography)
Alistair is the captain of the Great Britain Under-23 Octopush team who competed at the 2011 World Championships in Holland. He also represents the Great Britain men's elite team.
Callum Smith (Mathematics)
Callum competed for Great Britain at the 2011 World Beach Championships and has been selected for the squad who will go to Japan for the 2012 World Championships. He also, this year, represented the Brighton Ultimate club at the European Club Championships.
Chloe Sutherland (Biomedical Sciences)
Chloe is a First Dan Black Belt in karate. She came fourth at the 2011 Wado International Karate Do Federation (WIKF) championships in Dallas, representing England.
Roseanne Thomas (Biomedical Sciences)
Roseanne has represented the Welsh hockey team since the age of 13. Since first receiving the Sussex sports bursary on 2010, she has achieved her goal of breaking into the senior squad. This year, she competed in the European Hockey Championships and, at club level, in the Great Britain Hockey Superleague with the Celtic Panthers.
Nicolla Weekes (Maths)
Nicolla has been a member of the England rounders set-up from under-13 level. She is now an England under-21 rounders player who regularly competes in international competitions and Home Nations championships.
The University also provides 'athlete support packages' to a number of students competing at senior county, regional or national league level:
- Martina Aegerter (English and Film Studies) - volleyball
- Harriet Allen (Geography) - badminton
- Alex Bentley (Economics) - football
- Elisabeth Brama (Physics) - triathlon/cycling
- Samuel Brown (Mechanical Engineering) - pole vault
- Chiara Cavaliere (Biomedical Sciences) - taekwondo
- Jack Evans (Economics and Management) - motocross
- Chris Friis (Physics and Astronomy) - kickboxing
- Grecia Garcia-Garcia (Cognitive Science) - aikido
- Sophia Green (Psychology) - coastal rowing
- Robbie Haines (Chemistry) - Ultimate Frisbee
- Sally Hughes (Mathematical and Physical Sciences) - table tennis
- Megan Hurst (Psychology) - Ultimate Frisbee
- Jack Hutton-Potts (Bioscience) - rock climbing
- Ben Jones (Medicine) - athletics
- Roisin McNeill (International Business) - squash
- Matthew Miles (Mechanical Engineering) - Rugby Union
- Matthew Needle (Business and Management) - hockey
- Richard Roberts (Astronomy) - Ultimate Frisbee
- Jack Staddon (Media Practice and Theory) - kayaking and surf ski racing
- Armida Van Rij (International Relations) - Showjumping
- Ashley Yeo (Automotive Engineering) - Ultimate Frisbee