Quarantine support after arriving from abroad
We’re supporting international students arriving in the UK from red and amber list countries in September 2021 with a Quarantine Support Package.
Our support package
We’ve put together a Covid-19 Quarantine Support Package for those students travelling from red list countries or amber list countries to help you through the quarantine you must undertake on arrival in the UK.
This package will support you financially and help ensure you can join us as soon as possible for in-person teaching.
Red list countries
If you are travelling from or through a red list country (as identified by the UK Government), you will need to quarantine for 10 days on arrival in the UK in a government-approved quarantine hotel.
The Covid-19 Quarantine Support Package for international students from red list countries, as identified by the UK Government, will fund up to £2,285 towards the cost of quarantine. Provided you meet the criteria and satisfy our terms and conditions, the University will provide a tuition fee refund after you arrive at Sussex in the second term to reimburse you for the costs of quarantining.
To be eligible to apply for the full Support Package and receive a tuition fee refund of up to £2,285 you must:
- be an international student resident in a red list country
- have completed your quarantine in an approved UK government quarantine hotel and have arrived on the University campus by Friday 15 October 2021
- quarantine in a UK government-approved quarantine hotel
- provide a receipt from your quarantine hotel as well as other evidence (read more on applying for the tuition fee refund [PDF, 158KB] and what evidence you will need)
- apply for the tuition fee refund by 31 October 2021
- satisfy the terms and conditions in the Covid-19 Quarantine Support Package policy [PDF, 158KB].
Arrive in the UK by 10 September if possible, so you can finish your 10-day quarantine in time for the start of Welcome Week and teaching.
In order to arrive on or after 16 October 2021, you will need to have met the University’s published criteria for delayed arrivals.
International students arriving on or after 16 October 2021 will be eligible to apply for a Support Package to receive a tuition fees refund of £1,145 (half the full cost of an approved UK government quarantine hotel), providing that you arrive no later than the end of term (Friday 10 December 2021) and satisfy the criteria in the Covid-19 Quarantine Support policy [PDF 158KB].
If you’ve applied for University managed accommodation, you will be able to move into your allocated residence after you have completed quarantine and you’ll be charged rent for your Sussex accommodation from the day you check in or from 18 September (whichever is earliest).
Read the terms and conditions [PDF 158KB] for more details on eligibility, including how we will reimburse students who have their tuition fees paid by sponsors.
PhD students arriving from red list countries
Postgraduate research students can claim the full Support Package of £2,285 throughout the claim period up until 10 December 2021.
Read the red list terms and conditions [PDF 90KB] for more details.
Amber list countries
You will need to quarantine for 10 days if you are travelling from or through an amber list country and you’re not covered by the rules above.
If you have been fully vaccinated, check UK government rules on amber list travel if you are vaccinated.
Before you travel to the UK you must:
- take a Covid-19 test in your own country
- book and pay for day 2 and day 8 Covid-19 tests – to be taken after arrival in England
- complete a passenger locator form.
Read more about quarantine and taking Covid-19 tests on the UK Government website, including whether you meet the requirements for the UK Government’s test to release scheme.
The University Covid-19 Quarantine Support Package for international students from amber list countries identified by the UK Government will fund the following:
- rent-free University accommodation between 23 August and 10 September 2021. Students can stay for free in accommodation as long as you arrive between 23 August and 10 September 2021 and adhere to the terms of your quarantine. We unfortunately cannot cover accommodation costs for private residences off-campus
- a one-off quarantine support allowance payment (£36 for University-managed accommodation and £60 in privately-managed accommodation)
- £50 contribution towards a PCR test, which you order before leaving for the UK to have delivered to your accommodation. You can find a Covid-19 test provider on the UK government website. One of the more student-friendly booking sites is Everything Genetic, however this is not an endorsement; you should do your own research about individual providers, read their terms and conditions, and make your own decision about which one to use.
To be eligible to apply for the amber list Support Package you must:
- be an international student resident in an amber list country
- be required to undertake a 10-day quarantine for travel reasons
- report your travel quarantine to the University using our Covid-19 isolation reporting form. Complete the form once you have moved into your accommodation, either on-campus or in your private accommodation
- satisfy our full amber list terms and conditions [PDF 228KB].
Green list countries
After you arrive
Check our Student Hub for Coronavirus updates once you are with us.