Division of General Counsel, Governance and Compliance

Complaints procedure for the public

General complaints

The University believes that it is in everyone's interests to resolve complaints as quickly as possible, and as close to the source of the problem as possible. This complaints procedure has been drawn up with these aims in mind.

If you have cause for complaint arising from a visit to the University or from any dealings which you have had with members of the University, you are asked to put your complaint in writing to the provider of the service about which you are unhappy. If you are in doubt about who the service provider is, your complaint can be sent care of the Chief Operating Officer at the following address:

Sussex House
University of Sussex

The Service Provider will respond to your complaint in writing. If you are dissatisfied with the response, you may request that your complaint should be referred to the line manager of the Service Provider (this would be the Head of School for something which has occurred within one of the Academic Schools, or the Division Director in the case of something relating to the Administration).

In the event that you still remain dissatisfied following receipt of the line manager's response, you may request that the matter should be referred to the Chief Operating Officer. The Chief Operating Officer's decision will be final; there is no appeal against his or her decision. If the matter involves a Head of School or the Chief Operating Officer, the Vice-Chancellor will act instead.

Complaints relating to the Students' Union

The Students' Union is independent of the University, so if the matter about which you wish to complain relates to something for which the Students' Union is responsible, you should address your complaint to the President of the Students' Union, with a copy to the General Manager of the Students' Union, at the following address: University of Sussex Students' Union, Falmer House, University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton, BN1 9QF. They will investigate your complaint, and respond in writing.

Criminal conduct

Criminal conduct should be reported to the Police. If such conduct has taken place in the University, you may report it to the Police yourself or use the University's Security Service.

Conference delegates and vacation residential visitors

Conference delegates and residential visitors who have reason to complain should raise their complaints through the organiser of the conference or event.