Reflecting on a past event
Reflection on action: Occurs after the event or may involve pausing to stop and think.
- Can be used as a learning process
- Can be undertaken alone or in a group
- Can be used to reflect on reflection-in-action
To lead to change, reflecting on a past event depends on the awareness of a problem and thinking about ways to address it.
Working through alternative strategies leads to:
- The solution of the problem
- The formation of a new concept
Example model (Dewey's 1933 model of reflective thought):
Reflective writing exercise - reflecting on an event
Write about the key moments in your life that led to your choice of subject at university.
- What happened?
- Who was involved?
- How did the experience influence you?
Write at least 250 words