Digital learning and self-development
You will find that a large amount of teaching at Sussex happens with the use of technology, from online inductions, all the way through to podcasts and Padlet walls.
Our Technology Enhanced Learning team work in collaboration with your tutors to enhance learning and the student experience.
One example of this, is the arrival of the new online study platform Canvas - a state-of-the-art virtual learning environment. Integrated in Canvas you will find digital tools such as Turnitin, Lecture Capture and interactive online Reading Lists to assist your learning.
The Library holds a growing number of digital resources including ebooks and online databases. Using these different digital resources and technologies will enable you to fully engage with everything that is available to you as a Sussex student.
You can use Jisc's Digital Capabilities Framework to identify areas where you feel that you may need to develop. There are a number of ways that we can support you to develop your digital skills further:
You can attend a variety of digital skills workshops throughout the term. These lunchtime drop-ins cover a range of digital skills.
Digital Discovery Week
An annual week of online and in-person sessions designed to develop your digital skills and practice.
If you're interested in developing your social media skills, you can apply to become a Digital Guru. You'll get paid to create social media content and help run our channels. There are opportunities to blog, vlog, make videos or create Instagram stories.
There are many free digital apps to help you with:
- Check Diversity and Ability for details of many more helpful resources.Organisation and planning, e.g. MindView (free from ITS), Xmind, Trello
- Collaboration, e.g. Doodle, Coggle
- Reading, e.g. Natural Reader, Dictation.io
- Note-making, e.g. Google Keep
- Writing and editing, e.g. Grammarly, Manchester University Academic Phrasebank
- Referencing, see Reference Management Tools
- Revision, e.g. Quizlet
- Wellbeing, e.g. Calm, Mindshift