Questions and answers
1158How do I configure Mulberry to access the 'sussex.all.staff' address book?
PLEASE NOTE that staff and research postgraduates' email is now hosted on the University's Microsoft Exchange system, and as such the Mulberry staff address book is no longer updated. The staff address book is now primarily provided by the Exchange Global Address List (GAL) and is available only from Outlook or Outlook Web App (OWA)
The sussex.all.staff address book should be available to all members of staff, that is anyone who is recorded with 'staff' status in the University database.
If your Mulberry configuration is correct, you should see the sussex.all.staff address book listed amongst your other address books in your Contacts list. If not, follow the instructions below.
If you are a new or temporary member of staff, you may need to check that you are recorded in the university database as a full member of staff. Check with your department manager or the Human Resources office. Once you have been registered as a full member of staff, you should have access to the staff address book, though this will only happen the day after your record has been corrected in the database.
Role-based accounts and the staff address book
Please note that if you login directly to a role-based account with Mulberry, the staff address book will not be accessible. You must first login to your own staff account, and then create an extra Mulberry account to use the role-based account. A guide to doing this can be found in the ITS Guides page.
Check your Mulberry settings
Now you need to make sure your Mulberry preferences are set up correctly for accessing the staff address book. Follow these steps:
- Start Mulberry and login to your email account.
- Open the File menu and choose Preferences (on an Apple Mac, just click the Mulberry menu), then select Advanced preferences.
- Open the Accounts panel.
- Click the Account: drop-down-menu button which is near the top. If you can see the item Sussex Remote Addresses (IMSP) in the list of accounts, click to select it and then go to step 9 in this set of instructions, otherwise follow instructions 5 through 8.
- If Sussex Remote Addresses (IMSP) is not visible in the list of accounts, click New....
- In the Create New Account dialogue box, enter Sussex Remote Addresses (IMSP) in the Account Name box.
- In the Account Type menu bar, click to select IMSP Address Books.
- Click OK to close the Create New Account dialogue.
- In the Server box, make sure the server name is set to mailprefs.sussex.ac.uk
- In the Authenticate sub-panel, choose Plain Text as the Method if it isn't already shown.
- In the User box, type your username (e.g. ano23) and click to select the Save User ID checkbox.
- In the Secure: menu box, select StartTLS-TLSv1.
- Open the Options sub-panel and ensure that Login at Startup is selected.
- Click the Save Default button, then click OK.
It's probably best to close Mulberry down at this point, then re-start it. The sussex.all.staff address book should now be visible in your Contacts window. If it still fails to appear, please contact Online Support, explaining clearly what the problem is and what you have already tried to do.
Assuming however that the sussex.all.staff address book is now visible, you now need to ensure that it has the correct access options set. Follow these steps:
- Click the Contacts tab in the left-hand window so as to see your list of address books, if not already visible.
- RIGHT-click (Mac users can use CTRL-click) on the sussex.all.staff address book name and select Details from the drop-down menu.
- In the Details dialogue box, ensure that Open on Startup is not selected (click to de-select if necessary). This will prevent the address book from being unnecessarily downloaded and wasting a lot of time.
- Ensure that the Use For Nicknames and Use for Searching and Expansion options are selected. The Use For Nicknames option will allow you to type someone's User ID (login name or username) in the To, Cc or Bcc boxes of a draft message so as to obtain their email address. The Use for Searching and Expansion option will allow you to search for addresses in the same way, but using other information such as a person's name (or part thereof) or their department.
- Click OK.
Finally, you need to make sure that your Addresses options are correctly set. Follow these steps:
- Open the File menu and choose Preferences, and select Advanced preferences.
- Open the Addresses panel.
- In the Expansion sub-panel, we recommend that you select all the options shown except for the topmost, 'Use Expansion Instead of Nicknames.'
- Then click OK.
Full details on using the Staff Address Book can be found in FAQ 1077.
Help us to improve this answer
Please suggest an improvement
(login needed, link opens in new window)
Your views are welcome and will help other readers of this page.
This is question number 1158, which appears in following categories: