Santander Mobility grants
Applications are invited from supervisors for Santander Mobility grants to support themselves and a doctoral student (not necessarily their supervisee) to undertake visits to institutions within the Santander network.
The Santander Mobility grants provide pump priming to support a member of faculty to undertake visits to institutions within the Santander Network of 1,222 universities and research institutes in Argentina, Brazil, Belgium, Chile, China, Colombia, France, Germany, Mexico, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Russia, Singapore, Spain, USA, United Kingdom, UAE and Uruguay.
Visits could be for the purposes of:
- Developing links with another research group;
- Working on collaborative grant proposals (H2020, Newton Fund, Erasmus+, doctoral training centres).
The focus of the scheme is to encourage collaboration between institutions. The strongest applications will be able to clearly evidence how collaboration will be sustained.
Applicants are asked to complete an application form Santander Mobility Grant application In the current round there is a budget of £10k to support awards up to £500 per person for visits within the UK, or involving short-haul flights, and up to £1,000 per person for long-haul flights.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 4.00pm, Friday 16 December 2016
The following criteria apply:
1. Applications must involve a member of academic faculty and a doctoral student.
2. Grants must not take place before a doctoral student's research outline has been approved.
3. The grant can only be used to fund visits to institutions within the Santander Network. The trip must take place this academic year.
4. Santander Mobility grant applications will be considered by a Panel convened by the Doctoral School. In making their decision the panel will use the following criteria:
- Quality of application (including provision of evidence) and quality of research environment at host institution
- Potential for the relationship to develop beyond the grant
- Link with University of Sussex International Partnerships
- The trip must take place this academic year
5. The proposed budget must be evidenced and reasonable. Please note payment will be in the form of expenses reimbursement.
- Staff members – expenses need to be claimed via Agresso in the normal way. Claims will be authorised by the Doctoral School.
- Students – an expenses claim form, and documentary evidence in the form of receipts or equivalent, must be provided to the Doctoral School in order for payment to be released.
- The money must be claimed within this academic year.
6. Evidence to support your application
Applicants are expected to take low cost options with regards to accommodation (e.g. hotel accommodation should generally be a maximum of three star or equivalent) and applicants will need prior authorisation if costs are to exceed the university’s financial regulations on travel and incidental expenditure (http://www.sussex.ac.uk/finance/policies).
- Applicants must include a detailed budget plan for funding their proposed visit. This should include all elements of travel including the cost of transfers between the airport and destination, which should be made by public transport wherever possible. Evidence for all items must be submitted in the form of screen shots, and emails (including address details). Links to websites are not sufficient evidence.
Decisions will be communicated by email normally within two weeks of the call closing