Sussex Estates and Facilities

ID cards

All new staff and students, and returning students who have re-registered with the University, are entitled to a free University ID card. All students are required to carry an ID card as it is the only means of access to the University Library, and is required identification for students sitting unseen exams.

ID cards for new students

New students are issued with an ID card as part of the registration process. You will be asked to upload a suitable photo of yourself when you register online.

When registration is completed, ID cards are either posted to the student's UK address or held at the Student Centre for collection on arrival at the University.

New students who have not received their ID card when they have arrived on campus should contact the Welcome Team or visit the Welcome Desk in the Student Centre. Please do not come to the Print Unit unless you are directed to do so by the Welcome team.

International students who are collecting their BRP in person from the Student Centre can collect their ID card at the same time.

If you are a returning student and your current ID card has expired, you must register for the new academic year via Sussex Direct before a replacement ID card can be issued.

Staff ID cards for new starters

New members of staff can attend in person at the Print Unit during normal service hours (9.30am to 4.00pm, Monday to Friday) to obtain a staff ID card.

Alternatively you can request an ID card by emailing Please email us from your Sussex email account and attach a passport-style photo of yourself (a 'selfie' is acceptable in most cases).

When your card is ready you can collect from the Print Unit or we can post it to your campus or home address.

Access control (Salto) cards

Your University ID card is not an access control card.

Access control cards, where required, are issued by the SEF Logistics team. To request (or cancel) an access control card, you will need complete a request form and submit it to the SEF Service Centre. Access control request forms are available on the Portering and Logistics web page.

Replacing lost, stolen or expired ID cards

Staff and students may use this form to apply for a replacement ID card if yours has been lost, stolen, or has expired. 

ID cards will only be deemed to be stolen on presentation of a valid police crime reference number or other proof of theft.

Stolen ID cards will be re-issued free of charge if a crime reference number is presented.

Lost ID cards will be charged at £10.00 per card, payable on collection.

We will also replace your ID card without charge if it is faulty or has become damaged or unreadable through normal wear and tear. You will need to bring the damaged card with you when you collect your replacement or the normal £10.00 charge will apply.

Replacement ID cards can be collected from the Print Unit or dispatched via internal mail for students resident on campus, or by post to off-campus requestors.

ID card service news

Normal service is currently in operation:

Monday to Friday, 9.30am - 4.00pm.

Due to staff absence there will be no ID card drop-in service on Friday 31 May - we are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. We return to normal service on Monday 3 June.

Terms and conditions of use of student ID cards

Students must possess a valid ID card for the duration of their studies, and are required to carry the card when on University premises and to produce it in a situation where it is necessary to check identity. Please note that:

  • Cards are not transferable and must not be lent to others.
  • If you leave the University before the expected course end date on your card the card should be surrendered to the Student Data and Records Office, Bramber House, University of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9QU.
  • ID cards remain the property of the University of Sussex; when asked to do so by a member of University staff you must produce it, and if necessary surrender it.
  • The ID card may be used to collect data on swipe access to buildings or attendance at teaching events and this may be used for security or disciplinary purposes