The SDU has an organisation-wide role which is linked to University staff development and related policies. SDU provides services to support ALL full and part-time University staff, and groups of staff, to achieve their development goals and aspirations.
What are the main functions of SDU?
- Review and up-date the Staff Development Policy [PDF 30KB] to reflect current organisational needs and support their implementation
- Inform and support overall Corporate Strategy and its objectives as far as staff development is concerned
- Ensure a coherent, organisational approach to staff development through collaborative links
- Support planning including an annual Corporate Staff Development Plan, and Unit Staff Development Plan- suggested format [DOC 47KB]
- Support quality assurance through monitoring, reviewing and evaluating staff development. This includes an annual University Staff Development Evaluation Report and ensuring full utilisation of the University Staff Development Database
- Manage the central staff development budget and ensure it is allocated fairly, aligned to the current Corporate strategy and objectives
- Provide an array of appropriate staff development opportunities
- Support the University's Appraisal Scheme implementation and evaluation
- Support the training and development aspects of new staff induction
What services does SDU provide?
- a range of staff development courses
- Advice on any aspect of individual or team staff development
- assistance to heads/unit managers on their unit staff development and staff appraisal strategies including the compilation, delivery and evaluation of the Unit Staff Development Plan- suggested format [DOC 47KB]
- assistance with the design, organisation and facilitation of bespoke staff development activity to meet group/team needs such as 'awaydays', specific training events eg deaf awareness, team building, managing change
- one-to-one coaching to managers and staff, and other learning opportunities such as action learning sets
- advice on any aspect of the Staff Appraisal Scheme
- advice to new staff on their initial training and development needs
- advice on the University's Staff Development Database and its reports
- regular communications to all staff on staff development news and opportunities
- maintain and book out the University's Staff Development Room
- deal with central staff development budget applications from groups and individuals