Dr Kate O'Riordan
|Post:||Co-Director (Centre for Material Digital Culture)|
|Other posts:||Reader in Media (Centre for Material Digital Culture, Media and Film)|
|Senior Lecturer in Media (Sussex Centre for the Visual)|
|International:||+44 1273 876730|
|download vCarddownload vCard to your mobile|
Kate is a Reader in the Department of Media and Film at Sussex. She has taught across the media studies curriculum specialising in digital media technologies, and science. She also has an associate professor appointment in the Art Department at the Unversity of California, Santa Cruz and can be contacted there for part of the year.
In 2006 she completed a three-year secondment to Lancaster University where she worked on media representations of human genomics at the Centre for the Social and Economic Aspects of Genomics (CESAGen), and where she continues to be an affiliated researcher.
In 2004 she chaired the International Conference of the Association of Internet Researchers, and she served on the executive committee of the organisation, 2004-2006. Kate has also served as vice-Chair of the Digital Culture and Communication section of the European Communication and Research Association.
She has made numerous interventions through publishing, conferences and public engagement activities in the UK and internationally.
A recent selection of these activities included acting as invited speaker or chair:
- Circulating Genomes at the Genomics Forum, Edinburgh University, UK
- Reproductive Dystopias at the Cambridge Department of History and Philosophy of Science, UK
- Drawing up a manifesto on ethics of e-research at The ethical issues of e-research panel, ESRC Research Methods Festival 2010, St Catherine's College, Oxford, UK
- Virtually McLuhan: Theorizing Code and Digital Life series at the Centre for Cross Faculty Enquiry in Education, UBC, Canada
- Biodigital lives: making, consuming, archiving the lives of technoscience, at the University of Sussex's Centre for Material Digital Culture
- Centre for Cultural Studies Colloquium, UCSC, USA
- TAP seminar series at Goteborg University, Sweden
- Science and Justice Working Groupat UC Santa Cruz, USA
- Digital Media: European Perspectives
- Media Technology and Sexuality at the University of Sussex's Centre for Material Digital Culture
- Reader in Digital Media, University of Sussex.
- Affiliated CESAGen Researcher, Lancaster University.
- Co-ordinating Committee: Centre for Material Digital Culture.
- Associate Professor, Art Department, UCSC